help printing on Ind Trade Co EXP54LWP - 100% poly

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

spencer EE
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

help printing on Ind Trade Co EXP54LWP - 100% poly

Post by spencer EE »

I need some advice for printing 4 colors on this Ind Trade Co wind breaker (EXP54LWP). Jacket color is smoke (almost white) and graphite. Material is 82gm 100% poly. Pics are attached. I will be printing on the lighter color (top part) of the jacket so I do not think dye migration will be as much of an issue as a darker color poly material.

I did search and read a few threads about printing on 100% poly garments, but they all seem to be for a stretchy athletic uniforms and shirts. These jackets are not that stretchy so I thought I would ask for any recommendations before starting. I just want to ensure that the ink is cured and that the jacket doesnt shrink/melt. I am a big fan of Union brand inks so I will be going with their low-bleed poly ink.

This is a 4 color print. Light grey, lilac, university blue and finally navy blue. I assume I will need to flash after each color. I was wondering about wet on wet printing here. When is it a good idea to print wet on wet? What determines that decision?

Anyway, I hope someone can share some info on this.

EDIT*

So I placed an order for the 4 ink colors I need in the poly variety. Then my ink supplier called to ask why I needed all of those. They just told me that poly ink isn't necessary for all of the colors. They suggested using a poly white (or grey blocker) as an underbase and that I will be fine to use reg plastisol colors on top. And that dye-migration will not be an issue.

They specifically suggested using "Lunar white" ink made by Lakeside Plastics. Apparently this white is a tri-fecta and can be used on 100% cotton, blends, as well as 100% polyester. Not only that, its the creamiest white avail "out of the bucket" and can be printed using a print/print technique (flooding before both print strokes) vs a print/flash/print. They say its the brightest white avail and can easily be printed using mesh counts up to 175. They said dont even think about using a 110 for this white. Too good to be true? I will find out. I called the MFGr and they are sending me a quart of the ink to try out.

Anyway, if anyone can chime in with any info that would be greatly appreciated. I havent printed on poly in years and will be starting this project early next week. I will absolutely update this thread with info about this "amazing" white. So hopefully I will be adding some good substance to the forum. Thank you for reading and please comment if you have anything to add.