Tips for Printing on Wood

Discuss the various topics of non-textile screen printing.
Plastics, Woods, Metals, Glass, Ceramics, Vinyls
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

logicallyartistic
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Tips for Printing on Wood

Post by logicallyartistic »

Hi there,

I used to paint on wood but that was a massive undertaking and I was unable to do anything in bulk. So I have switched to screen printing after someone else told me about it. I am using speedball ink at this time because it's my first time trying and did not want to go all out if I ended up being horrible at this. I want to switch to something with formulas so I can mix colors so ideas on what would be best there would be wonderful. Right now I have a couple of questions:

1) Tips of pressure and angle for doing this on wood
2) When I pull my screen back there are always dots in the ink, kind of like it's separating, am I doing something wrong here?
3) I had a bleed issue but I figured out that's because I was flooding and then pulling because I don't have anything to hold the wood down and didn't want to pull so hard i moved the frame.
4) Best tips on a cheap way to make something for me to help with the above?
5) Best ink I should use if this turns out to be the way I want to go in the future?

I forgot to mention, I'm sanding and painting my signs with interior flat paint prior to applying the ink (in case that's needed for my questions above).

Thank you,
Sascha Diotte