Removing Screen Block/Filler

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexanderlucas
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Removing Screen Block/Filler

Post by alexanderlucas »

Hi!

New to the forum, so firstly hello :)

I've got a bit of a question about cleaning my screen.
So, fairly new to home screen-printing. I did plenty of screen-printing at University. But we had a big old professional setup there with dip-tanks and the like.

I bought myself one of those starter kits (a System 3 Daler Rowney one). Which is great to get me started on this all. But after setting everything up and running my first print (came out really well, crisp, and vibrant by the way). I now want to clean off my screen to start on something new.

I had used the provided System 3 "Screen Filler" to block the screen. It recommends using "abrasive household cleaner and warm water" to remove this.
I've managed to remove about half of the design via hot jet of water and a little washing up liquid. But the rest doesn't seem to be budging.
I'm going to be incredibly dis-heartened if you tell me it's ruined, so I'm hoping that's not the case.
What are some tips for removing fairly stubborn screen block like this? I don't have a dip tank and stuff, so there must be something I can use. I'm apprehensive to use bleach or turps or something, as I don't want to ruin the screen (it's my only screen at the minute).

Thanks!
Alex
d fleming

Re: Removing Screen Block/Filler

Post by d fleming »

You may want to try a power washer or pressure washer. If you don't have one a coin operated car wash may be the ticket. Clean your car and screen at the same time.
LouisaLou
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Removing Screen Block/Filler

Post by LouisaLou »

Screen filler can be removed with denatured alcohol!
Go to the hardware store and get a quart or a gallon of Denatured Alcohol, in the paint department, next to the paint thinners. Get a plastic rubbermaid box big enough to hold your screen. Then go to the Dollar Tree and get a veggie scrub brush - it's the softest and best I've found. Put the screen in the box and pour denatured alcohol on it until the screen is covered, not a measurable level, just saturated and covering every inch of the coated screen. Let it soak 5-20 minutes, scrub it all off with the soft nylon brush and then wipe the extra off with paper towels. You can get the last little bits of it off with a clean paper towel soaked in denatured alcohol.