accounting is twisting my head in a knot

Discuss day to day business affairs.
Including: Scheduling, Pricing, Money Managment, Employees, Wages, Business Opportunities & Marketing
Industry Work Shops and Classes
spankthafunk
Intern
Intern

accounting is twisting my head in a knot

Post by spankthafunk »

I am pretty new to screen printing and starting my own business. I'm off to an ok start but there is alot more for me to learn and understand. I am currently trying to figure out the best way to set up an accounting system for my business. Most software is too much, as well as paying an accountant. I figured I could do the bookkeeping myself but there is a lot to know. I do want to get something started while I'm early into the business though, before all of my receipts and sales become long. Can anyone recommend a cheap cheap cheap software program that is good, or maybe a book on accounting that is worthwhile for me to just do everything the old fashioned written way?
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: accounting is twisting my head in a knot

Post by ROADSIDE »

quickbooks is the way to go. there are others but quickbooks is the big dog.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
spankthafunk
Intern
Intern

Post by spankthafunk »

quickbooks seems like a high priced program. would the cheapest version handle everything that I need? I have been searching the forums and it seems that a lot of screen printers have trouble with the inventory system in Quickbooks, because you can't tell one product to have multiple sizes and colors.

What about the industry specific programs by themselves, anyone have experience with T-Boss or T-quoter? or are there others that are good?
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Do you have EXCEL?
Make a spread sheet that does all your math.... You should not be worrying about inventory. Your not that big were you have an inventory.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
spankthafunk
Intern
Intern

Post by spankthafunk »

very true. I was thinking about using excel as a way to set up my accounting system. I wasn't sure how in-depth I need to go though; ie, should I began making cash flow statements, journal entries, transactions, and so on also? Or should I just use Excel for inventory and purchase a cheap quickbooks program? Thanks for all of the advice.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Roadie is all over it. Quickbooks is the way to go.
spankthafunk
Intern
Intern

Post by spankthafunk »

yea I have Excel. I have been trying to build a system with Excel that works the way I want it to, but just wasn't sure if there might be an easier way. I broke down and got simple bookkeeping record book to write my items down for now until I can get something going. I'll also look into Quickbooks and try to start learning it as soon as possible.
taglessthreads.com
Intern
Intern

Post by taglessthreads.com »

When you can afford it I suggest hiring a bookkeeper. You will find when you get busier it will be harder to keep track of finances. Leave it to a professional.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

http://www.turbocashuk.com/ is open source & free
EveVon
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by EveVon »

If you did want to use Excel, Microsoft has some free templates here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templ ... 91033.aspx that you can find for accounting type stuff... I've used them before, but I think if I didn't want to spend a dime I would just do it by hand in a general ledger (ol' pencil and paper). My vote is definitely for Quickbooks for the record though.
Business Forms

Post by Business Forms »

Quickbook is the best for accounting.. Microsoft Accounting Pro is also a good option.. But quickbook is better..
andrelewis
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by andrelewis »

You can download accounting software to get relief from hectic schedule of accounts management, it is nice to use software designed for specific industry, as the application bring a lot of changes in workings.
Harry.
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Harry. »

As a New York City accounting services provider, Harvinder Singh, CPA, PLLC provides Tax Preparation Services, Financial Planning Services, Bookkeeping Services and many other financial services to the New York City and surrounding
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

As a New York City accounting services provider, Harvinder Singh, CPA, PLLC provides Tax Preparation Services, Financial Planning Services, Bookkeeping Services and many other financial services to the New York City and surrounding "

Then you should understand purchasing an ad to advertise on a thread started in 2008
marc murphy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by marc murphy »

I would recommend Sage books or Fresh book. But it depends on the size of your business. If your a small business Excel should be able to take care of all your accounting needs, providing of course that you have a good knowledge of excel formulas.
Somyadhawan
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Somyadhawan »

You can go for Giddh Accounting Software