Best way to paint a whole concave clear glass?

Discuss the various topics of non-textile screen printing.
Plastics, Woods, Metals, Glass, Ceramics, Vinyls
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Best way to paint a whole concave clear glass?

Post by Wanderer »

Hello,

I have a quick question to ask. We are developing the mould for a new transparent concave glass in China. The glass will be transparent but would like to turn it all-white, except for a small vertical strip on one side that will remain clear / transparent. So far our feedback shows that white cannot be applied all over the bottle with screen printing.

I was wondering if you know of any alternative and affordable ways to achieve this (for a quantity of 3,000 - 5,000 bottles)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ares
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Best way to paint a whole concave clear glass?

Post by tompaine »

Wanderer wrote:Hello,

I have a quick question to ask. We are developing the mould for a new transparent concave glass in China. The glass will be transparent but would like to turn it all-white, except for a small vertical strip on one side that will remain clear / transparent. So far our feedback shows that white cannot be applied all over the bottle with screen printing.

I was wondering if you know of any alternative and affordable ways to achieve this (for a quantity of 3,000 - 5,000 bottles)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ares
Depends on the shape, you could screenprint a mask over the clear area, then dip-coat the glass. Pictures might help.
Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Wanderer »

Thanks so much tompaine!

Here's a pic of the shape of the bottle: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclecticon ... 7412282658

And here is a diagram of the basic processing we need, turn it all white (from clear) but leave a slim vertical strip transparent: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclecticon ... 7140783712

The factory mentioned spray painting, would that be a better option?

Thanks in advance for any further input.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Spraying works, imagine putting a piece of tape down the side & peeling it off to reveal the clear line.
Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Wanderer »

Thanks so much tompaine!
Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Wanderer »

tompaine, this is a different subject and I'm still not sure whether I should start a new topic on it..

Someone mentioned that the bottle would need to have "registration" at the bottom in order to be able to screen-print on it (this refers to the graphics we'll be adding later with screen printing). The graphics will have two colors (gray and lime-green). I'm not sure what this "registration" is and how this should affect our mould..

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much once again.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

If you want to align the screenprinting process twice - for two colours then you need a datum point on the glass, it's often an indent, otherwise how do you know where to print the second colour?
Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Wanderer »

Tons of thanks tompaine, your comments have solved my most serious queries!
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

It's a pleasure
Wanderer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Wanderer »

Hi tompaine.

I wanted to ask for your help on a new set of problems that we ran into, in regards with what we were discussing in this post. I started a new topic here: http://www.screenprintingforum.com/view ... f=3&t=2863

Any input would be really valuable. Thank you very much in advance.