Mesh screen size? Confused, need help!

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kerrynyc
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Mesh screen size? Confused, need help!

Post by kerrynyc »

Hey all!

I am new to this forum, so I am not sure if I am posting in the right section, please re-direct if wrong. I would like to start screen printing images onto canvas tote bags, my issue at the present time is trying to figure out what mesh screen I should get. I know that 110 mesh's are the "standard" and are good for thick ink deposits and work well for blocky logos/fonts etc, however the images that I plan on screening are my own personal illustrations and are very detailed and contain a lot of lines etc. No half tones or anything, just a lot of fine lines and uber detailing. I was looking at 156 mesh screens, but I'm still not sure if they will allow for a finer line and detail. I'm kind of stumped. I've attached an image of one of my designs to show how detailed the artwork is... maybe that will help.

Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Image is Copyright Kerry Campbell 2011
Image is Copyright Kerry Campbell 2011
KAC.jpg (77.15 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Mesh screen size? Confused, need help!

Post by tompaine »

It's really small dots that meshes struggle with, lines tend to be happier.
Start with a 156 and see how it goes.
kerrynyc
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by kerrynyc »

Thanks for the response! I will try the 156... hopefully it will work! :)
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

kerrynyc wrote:Thanks for the response! I will try the 156... hopefully it will work! :)
Actually, you are going to need halftones for those gradients? What lpi are you using? The mesh should be 4.5x the lpi, so a 200 for 45lpi
kerrynyc
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by kerrynyc »

tompaine wrote:
kerrynyc wrote:Thanks for the response! I will try the 156... hopefully it will work! :)
Actually, you are going to need halftones for those gradients? What lpi are you using? The mesh should be 4.5x the lpi, so a 200 for 45lpi
The image I attached is a mock up I made in PS. When I eventually start to actually print, I will be starting off with just basic one color designs, so there will be no actual color gradients. I am still researching screen printing packages and such and am trying to figure out as much as I can before I go ahead and buy anything. The main concern here is that the majority of my illustrations that I plan on screening onto canvas bags contain high detail, lots of tight fine lines etc and I am struggling with mesh size and what types of inks I should use. I really want to try water based inks, I know it's a harder process however. At least from what I've heard.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Canvas is rough, there's a limit to the detail that it will hold. I'd try easier stuff to begin with, then experiment.