Exposure issues

Post your questions, suggestions, ideas and advice to issues you have run into in your screen printing shop.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PizzaBrainzz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Exposure issues

Post by PizzaBrainzz »

Hey dudes, and dudettes. I'm sure this is a common issue and I have already tried using the search feature but apparently everything I try to search is "too common." So sorry in advance.

I'm doing DIY screen printing and have run into an issue. The image I'm trying to burn right now is a word that has a thin outline around the bubbled letters. I usually expose my images for around 15-20 mins and I get pretty decent results. Well I have exposed said image up to 30 mins now and have beautiful results with the bold letters after the wash but the outlines are not coming through. I'm using 4, 12" flourecent bulbs in my exposure unit, one coat of Diazo Speedball emulsion (i've tried front and back and it was worse.) I am ink jet printing my bold black image onto transparency film and am exposing for 30 mins. It seems like the longer the exposure time the better but I am worried about over exposing. Any ideas?? :?

Oh and one more thing..
When I go into my room to pull my screen from the drying cabinet to put it on the exposure unit, im basically doing it in complete pitch darkness. Is there any form of light that's safe to use so I can see what I'm doing and not expose my screen?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Exposure issues

Post by tompaine »

You can use safe lights, if you can get some amberlith you can wrap it around a fluorescent light.
You don't mention a vacuum unit, it really is important to get good contact with the screen if you are burning fine detail.
http://www.positivityltd.co.uk/Tutorial ... osure.html
PizzaBrainzz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by PizzaBrainzz »

oops, I meant I'm using 4, 24" bulbs lolzz
also any enLIGHTenment on the lighting to use in the dark room while coating screens?
ckepley
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ckepley »

How long have you been burning images with the exposure unit? If you are doing longer burn times it sounds like you may have to replace the lights here soon. I have a exposure unit and the burn times are only between 5-6 minutes. Mine however is new so that's why I ask....

Also if you go ryonet's website and type in your questions there you can normally get good results or you can get the information your looking for off you tube videos. Those seem to answer a lot of my questions when I have issues.

Casey
Doug bringer
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Doug bringer »

i'm sorry i'm cheap i use yellow bugs lights i think they are 60 watts so far they are working also are you using any type of glass as a weight