Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

mikemclovin
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Going from hobby to business.

Post by mikemclovin »

Hi there everyone,

Years ago I got into silk screening as a hobby and did it for a while for Bands and friends in the area. More recently I decided to start printing again, only this time for serious profit.

I'd like to be able to make an ok living cranking out shirts for local businesses and organizations. I am starting out slow by purchasing a package online and taking baby steps equipment wise. I plan to have my wife assist me on larger jobs and would like to start out with a 4 color 2 station table press, a basic flash drying unit and a light box.

I live in an area where motorcycle culture is everywhere and there are many awesome opportunities for merchandising. I plan to make some business cards and talk directly with the businesses in my community to introduce myself and make them aware of my services. I also plan on making myself familiar with my competition, for any jobs I can't handle I can send the customer to the right place hoping in return the smaller jobs would be referred to me.

I would appreciate any pointers for starting out that may assist me in being successful at this venture. I respect the pros in this community and would love to have some feedback on what you think about my basic plans.

Thanks! -Mike
themeathawks
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Going from hobby to business.

Post by themeathawks »

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you take the time to write out a fully-formed, legit and thought out business plan (check out this WikiPedia link, or check out one of the millions of books devoted to just this purpose. It will help so much throughout the tough times!
reveldesign
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by reveldesign »

Hey Mike,

I am fairly new and just starting to amp up my business also. What I have learned so far is Get a website up and running.
Google silkcreening + (your town) screenprinters + (your town) and see what pops up. Know who your competition is and where are they advertising and listing online.
There are a lot of free online directories to list your business on. I spent almost 4 days doing just this (after I got my website up) Listing my business on as many online directories I could find. The more you are listed the easier it will be for people to find you. I suggest starting an online presence first and then going out into the "real world". People want to be able to see a website online.

Besides that all I can say is Hussle! Wherever I am I have business cards on me and always looking for potential clients. If I go to a restaurant or shop and see they are wearing beat up shirts "Is your manager here? Who does your shirts? Are you looking to have new ones made up?" Introduce yourself and give a business card. That is my amatuer beginner advice to you

Best of Luck!
lizagomse
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by lizagomse »

Last week I had taken the business card printing service from West End Imaging. The business card is a very essential thing for any kind of business. The business card is the initial picture of your business. The printing service of this company is very high quality and pricing is very cheap. Beside the printing service this company also offers you web designing and graphic designing. I am very much satisfied with the service of this company.
alanpoh
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by alanpoh »

Aloha! I have been in the business for over thirty years and have done custom, retail, contract and On-Site screen printing. would be glad to talk you through the process as I know what works and what doesn't. Let me know your specific questions.