Printing on black with waterbased ink

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

premiumblue
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Printing on black with waterbased ink

Post by premiumblue »

I am a newbie in screenprinting, though printing on white shirts works out very well !

Printing on black doesn't work out. I am using Sericol waterbased ink.
On black shirt the ink seems te get in the shirt to deep. Also puting a white underlayment first doesn't work.
I must say the colored ink I use is quite old (about 2 years), so could it be the ink is to old to use ?

Or can I only print on black with plastisol-ink ? Which i don't prefer cause of having to use chemicals to clean the screen.
ralleydesew
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Printing on black with waterbased ink

Post by ralleydesew »

I suggest you get raclette awl. With the edge I think I feel when I right angle. It is in the order of 80 degrees. The ink just completely takes over the screen, leaving you left without ink. This is something that has really helped my white ink on black shirt. Ensure that you clear the screen completely.
andy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by andy »

I am doing a six colour job. I am using Permaset first down white as the base and I'm using Permaset Aqua colours on top then last I want to lay down the black for the detail. The problem I am having is the black will bleed. I am also getting some bleed on the other colours. It's just not sharp. I'm using 43T for the colours & 65T for the black.

ANY ADVICE?
ohlaso
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ohlaso »

I use Screen Colour Systems inks, UK based, and they have waterbased inks. As they don't require flash curing like the Permaset (they come with a catalyst instead) I find it easier. The white on black has a pretty good finish, using a 75T screen for the white. At the moment I'm using the Aquascreen base rather than the Aquapaque, so it requires a lot of colourant, but my sister uses the aquapaque and if I was printing on a lot of dark colours I'd definitely go for that.
anand.alagesan
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by anand.alagesan »

Use Magna - UK water based inks. Particularly Aquaplus series to ab=void bleeding and excellent hand feel. Available in 20 nations.

Source: Own experience.
taglessthreads.com
Intern
Intern

Post by taglessthreads.com »

I suggest using discharge inks. Printing water based ink on dark shirts as an under base is a headache, especially on long runs. For a great looking print use water based discharge inks. We use Matsui.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads