CMYK Seps for tee shirts

Share questions, suggestions, and information about Adobe, Corel and other graphics products.
Software Review and Rating.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

CMYK Seps for tee shirts

Post by BrothersScreen »

Hello Everyone,
I am a newbieso I thought I'd jump right into this. I searched your threads and found a few messages that pertained to this issue but none of the previous advice solved my problem.
I am using Ill. CS or PS CS or Corel 11 on a PC to try and make plates for screen printing tee shirts.
My printer is a Ricoh Aficio AP610N, which is a laser printer but it has an Adobe PostScript3 driver that I have installed. My PPD is called the same as my printer name.
I know all about the lpi and angles and how to do the seps, but I can not get the defined "dots" that I need no matter how low I make the lpi. I read in another question that you can do a filter effect under Pixilate>Color Halftone, but those dots are too large.
I know that graphic designers are doing this all the time for screen printing plates. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Are you printing out of AI? (adobe illustrator)
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by BrothersScreen »

Yes, but I can print from any of those programs if I need to.
BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by BrothersScreen »

I have been trying both progams (AI and Corel), but they both are still giving me the grey shades instead of the defined dot patterns that I need.

I need to create a photographic screen print on a tee using the 4 CMYK screens. I believe it would be the same process you'd use to get a % of a color to be screen printed. Any thoughts?
Renegade
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Renegade »

This wont help you get the right color levels but basicly in photoshop. 1 Make the document CYMK (image menu > mode> CYMK) 2. add your targets
3 select all the first channel make a greyscale document paste it, this is your last chance to apply any curves, convert the document into a bitmap (image menu > mode> bitmap> halftone 600 dpi> 55 lines per inch elipse and the corosponding scren angle for the color) 4 print it.
repeat steps 3 and 4 for each channel.

remember to ajust the curves or else your print will lay down the C,M,Y very heavily and then the blacK layer will lay on top and make it all way too dark, unless you bring up the mids,

Print with a high megh count 280 ish

My first attempt at cymk screenprinting was quite a learning experience.

Good luck.

Myles, Conner.
Renegade Apparel
Solder of fortune in an information war.
BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by BrothersScreen »

Oh that works great! Thank you so much. I hear that Smart Designer has a nice halftone wizard in it, I was going to get it later this week. I seen it in action at the AC ISS show this weekend so I know it works great, but this is very helpful. Thank you.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

honestly its ALOT easier then that.
If you are using AI... the print dialog should have an option for SEPARATIONS

Sounds to me that you are not paying enough attention to the print dialog menus.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
shirtsbyeric
Intern
Intern

Post by shirtsbyeric »

pixilale/ color halftone is a filter. in photoshop you can set the frequency in the print dilog by clicking transfer
Jeremy
Intern
Intern

Post by Jeremy »

Yuck. Don't use a filter to do halftones or color seperations -- except for effect.
Halftones and color seps in Photoshop should be done with Image>Mode>Bitmap>Halftone Screen.
Art_Maverick
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: CMYK Seps for tee shirts

Post by Art_Maverick »

I know it's a little expensive, but honestly Color Separations for Illustrator using AccuRip is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy. The best thing is that using AccuRip is a non-destructive process. It was not hard to use either. Photoshop color separations? I'm still working on that.
G'Day,
Art_Maverick
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

If you are going to use filters (and I agree with my fellows above) use the same dpi as your printer to avoid moire.
carolw96
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by carolw96 »

Will AccuRip work with Corel?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

yes it will.
Art_Maverick
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Art_Maverick »

Hello Everyone,
I have a color separation question now. Been beating my head on the table to no avail. I work with a screen printer in San Diego (Three In One Design). Good crew. We have a perfect candidate for a 4 color process print. The job was done in Photoshop. I'm having difficulties separating the channels and setting it up for CMYK. Photoshop realizes that they're spot channels, but after going to multi-mode and going through the process of creating a DCS 2.0 file with 4 plates, Illustrator won't see them as spot colors. Supposedly after placing the image into Illustrator, AI will see the individual plates. This is crucial, as I need the spot colors for AI with Accurip to process them. Any clues to what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Art Maverick
STEPHEN HUGHES
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by STEPHEN HUGHES »

pixlate photoshop try this.....top box 25...then this degrees in the other four boxes..10..10..10..10