What printers do you use for artwork positives?

Specific computer related questions/suggestions for Mac and Pc users.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CMS
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

What printers do you use for artwork positives?

Post by CMS »

In 2002 I bought an HP designjet800 24". I just bought an HP designjet t1120 24". Not impressed with the new one, doesn't seem to lay enough black down on the transparency. The old one was starting to put scratch lines in everything. I use screen printing for a segment of the market that is largely unknown. I do military spec painting and screening (on stainless steel, steel, aluminum, anodized, iridited, etc) I know of no other shop around me that does this. We get work for gov't subcontractors and do things like computers, flight simulators, etc. I need a really detailed printer that can give me excellent quality, very black, positives. I'm also unimpressed with HP's clear film. It has a bumpy texture to it and I don't like it. Any suggestions?
Thanks! :D
CMS, LLC
Virginia
Screenprinting
d fleming

Re: What printers do you use for artwork positives?

Post by d fleming »

I use film from sihl and an epson 9500, it's an older model but reliable and does awesome photoprinting as well. Most shop s I know of use something from epson.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Epsons are best, they have a good lay down of ink and, crucially, good registration.
7450 is the Epson printer that would work best.
CMS
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by CMS »

Thanks for the replies! I am in the process of returning this new one to HP and hopefully will try out an Epson. Thank you! :D
CMS, LLC
Virginia
Screenprinting
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

rhino1 wrote:HP Designjet wall art is best for printing of Art work.
But not best for positives!
taglessthreads.com
Intern
Intern

Post by taglessthreads.com »

We use the Epson 7880.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
tz231
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tz231 »

If you are very particular about producing the highest quality photo prints, you should use inkjet printers like the one from brother.
sudomark3
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by sudomark3 »

At this point in time my PRO 9500 does everything I need from a photo printer. I've been doing this photography thing as a pro and for pleasure for around 45 years mostly working in the darkroom for all my printing.
kevin34
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by kevin34 »

korryaldrin wrote:There are many good inkjet printers that will do the job just fine but Epson has the advantage of being able to work with many brands of RIP software. Many Epson inkjet printers can be converted to all black inks specifically made for creating film positives with RIP software for screen printing. And it seems that RIP software creators make their programs work with many different models of Epson printers. Most tee shirt printers use a system like this in house.
Yes it's true, now i use inkjet printers from Epson. But all certainly it has plus and minus side. so I think this is just a problem that is tailored to the needs.