Screen Printing simple gradiants???

Specific computer related questions/suggestions for Mac and Pc users.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Inked Wear
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Screen Printing simple gradiants???

Post by Inked Wear »

I have a customer that wants a gradiant of black ink fading to the color of the shirt it is printed on. I use illustrator and photoshop to create the images but I can't seem to find out how to do gradiants. Can sombody help me?

thanks

Inked Wear
DesignX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by DesignX »

Are you not sur ehow to print the gradients out to a positive to make a screen or are you looking to just make the gradient on screen?
Inked Wear
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Inked Wear »

printing the positives... i have the option in illustrator but i can't click it.

inked wear
DesignX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by DesignX »

Ok

1. open your document
2. Change your gradient from your color to white to black to white
3. CLick file>Print
4. find the box with the CMYK colors at the bottom that are Greyed out (forgot the box illustrator aint in front of me)
5. In the box that says composite change the to Seperations and magically the CMYK become ungreyed and editable.
6. shut off all the colors but black(K)
7. Change the Frequency to whatever you need (i use 35)
8. Print them
Inked Wear
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Halftones/Gradients

Post by Inked Wear »

Here is what I'm seeing when I try to print a halftone positive to make a transparency for a screen. The only changeable option I have is the emulsion... Does anybody know if I'm doing anything wrong?

inked wear
Martin
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Martin »

i think its because your printer dose not support postscript. i noticed the PPD: settimg is empty. you probably just have to install the driver again. check the printers documentatino it should tell you there if it supports post script. if not try setting the halftones in photoshop and inporting them to illustrator. i do that cuz my stupid printer gives me the same problem when i try to print half tones form illustrator. im still working it out.
DesignX
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by DesignX »

^^^^ Agreed

I would check the HP website for a postscript driver and install that for your printer and then your other options will light up. Any other problem you can email me directly at cory@hilcoathletic.com
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Inked Wear wrote:printing the positives... i have the option in illustrator but i can't click it.

inked wear
I am guessing you dont have a POST SCRIPT printer or any RIP software.
I am ADOBE MASTER id if you need help give me a call
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
Business Forms

Re: Screen Printing simple gradiants???

Post by Business Forms »

These days, the silk screening process can be facilitated through digital processes but it largely remains a labor intensive method which requires the active participation of the creator. As described in Wikipedia, “A screen is made of a piece of porous, finely woven fabric (originally silk, but typically made of polyester since the 1940s) stretched over a frame of aluminum or wood. Areas of the screen are blocked off with a non-permeable material to form a stencil, which is a positive of the image to be printed; that is, the open spaces are where the ink will appear.” Though this means the product is succeptible to human error or slight to extensive variation when created on the larger scale, it can be regarded as an advantage-in this day and age of computer-precision manufacturing-to maintain an aspect of the human element in the creative process.