Printing Problem ...

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nympymplee
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Printing Problem ...

Post by Nympymplee »

Lately I have been having a problem with the "finish" of the inks after I have applied them. Instead of the nice smooth clean look, I've been getting a rough, sandpaper type look. I had a similar problem before and assumed that I had improperly adjusted the off-contact. I use a quick, smooth (although heavy) motion when applying, and I am using a 195 mesh right now (although I've had the same problem with a 110). The real problem colours seem to be red and white, with black coming out smoothest.

If you need any more info I'll fill you in.

Thanks
broham23
Intern
Intern

Re: Printing Problem ...

Post by broham23 »

Hey there.. It's hard to say without more information, like what you're printing on, if it's being flashed and printed again, etc. Usually when I see a problem like that it's because you're not clearing the screen. That is, after you make a pass with the squeegie and lift the screen up, there is ink left over in the mesh that hasn't been forced into the shirt or fabric. What you want obviosly is for ALL of the ink in the image to be pushed through the mesh. If not, the remaining ink in the mesh kind of sticks to the top surface of the printed image and when you lift the screen up it leaves a rough looking texture on the print. This is more of a problem on sweatshirts and hoodies where I work due to the rougher surface texture (making them harder to clear), and the problem is further compounded by thicker inks like white or gold.

I hope that makes some sense.

The solution is to use a lower mesh count, more pressure, slower motion when printing, or more passes, etc. Anything to ensure you fully clear the screen. Or experiment with squeegie angle.
195 mesh is too tight for white ink in my opinion. We use 81 or 110 for white, 156 for most other colors and anything over an underbase, and 230 for process, and everything usually goes very smoothly..

Ultimately it's impossible to tell for sure without more information from you about what you're woking on, but I have a hunch that this is your problem. Good luck!
tynickelscreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tynickelscreen »

my idea, it is relative the screen mesh and the ink thicknerness, most probably is, the open area of the screens is too high, thus cause the ink just directly drop through the screen holes.
TIANYU Nickel Screen, Rotary Printing Solutions http://www.tynickelscreen.com
RutNirupama
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by RutNirupama »

I have an Epson SX115 and if I print out a picture on it I get vertical banding. Just dots running down the image. I figured out that the little rollers than come after the printing are what are leaving these dots on the printed image.How do I stop this printing problem?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

RutNirupama wrote:I have an Epson SX115 and if I print out a picture on it I get vertical banding. Just dots running down the image. I figured out that the little rollers than come after the printing are what are leaving these dots on the printed image.How do I stop this printing problem?
Start a new thread for a different problem.
Your ink should dry before exiting, use a better quality paper.
Jordancook
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Jordancook »

hii
I am also facing same problem like you and i had clear some of my doubts after read your thread discussions. Thanks for sharing!
Tagless Threads
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Tagless Threads »

Lower mesh count will always help, not laying so much ink down will help, if your flashing be aware of how long because the longer the rougher the print will become, your also probably drying it too long speed up your drier, but there is another trick you should try. It will smooth out the print and make it stronger; get a regular screen no emulsion and put screen tape (horizontally or vertically) across the entire inside of the screen. Make sure it is completely covered and put it in a head after the flash. Put plastisol thinner in the screen or even thinned out plastisol and hit it with a decent amount of pressure after you flash. The squeegee will print like a regular screen but nothing will go through because you taped it; the result is the squeegee flattening and smoothening out the print. Never do this onto wet ink or u will have nothing but problems, it must be flashed b4 u smooth it.
ChrisScoff
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ChrisScoff »

Screen printing might have this same problem if low quality ink set is being used. For Smooth effects specially when you are printing a wide and solid printing area often called "ground" right kind of ink set should be used. I often use RyOpaque or Jacquard for smooth color effects.