Thick Clear Non-Yellowing Air-Dry Ink??

Discuss the various topics of non-textile screen printing.
Plastics, Woods, Metals, Glass, Ceramics, Vinyls
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alex D
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Thick Clear Non-Yellowing Air-Dry Ink??

Post by Alex D »

Hi,

I have been trying to locate a crystal-clear, non-yellowing, air dry screen printing ink that has a very heavy body-- almost as thick as vaseline. It needs to have good general adhesive qualities, and needs to be flexible. I don't have facilities for a curing oven for 44" wide media, so need air-dry ink. Solvent based is preferable.

It can even be a screenable adhesive rather than an "ink".

I have been researching and testing samples for the past 4 months, but have not located anything that has all the above qualities.
Now with 23 useless samples on the shelves, I'm getting desperate! This is killing me!
Any advice or leads would be most appreciated.
Thanks,

Alex D
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

What substrate are you printing on? WIll it be covering another ink? Some inks have bad reactions to one another.
Alex D
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Alex D »

I am printing on canvas coated for inkjet printer ink. Once I pull the screen print, I douse the wet deposit with 40 micron reflective styrene divinyl benzine copolymer beads. Once the layer dries, I print the next image layer on the first beaded layer, and repeat the bead dousing process.
So the ink needs to stick to the coated canvas, as well as adhering to the beads. I need the high viscosity so I can print on the rough grainy surface without bleeding under the screen or having the ink flatten out, or run through the 70 mesh screen when I tilt it between prints.
Thanks for your response & any advice,
Alex D
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

A little beyond me. I would try Naz-Dar, 1-800-537-4606. They usually have a tech in the building who can help with tough prints, always been a good resource for me.
Alex D
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Alex D »

Yeah, it's getting beyond me as well. I have tried Naz-Dar, Union Ink, Kiwo, TW, Bond Adhesives, etc. etc. -- But thanks for your interest!
Alex D
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Maybe Melray, I would've thought Naz Dar first but you never know. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, best of luck.
melray.com
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would also try ONE STROKE the usually make some off the wall stuff.
Nice People too
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
danlewerenz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by danlewerenz »

Try Enthone Ink, use to be called Hysol. Is a two part Epoxy, use the 50-120 this is pretty thick, use the # 28 catalyst so it does not yellow. Not sure if it will stick well to the canvas though.
shirtsbyeric
Intern
Intern

Post by shirtsbyeric »

enthone used to be owned by Dexter but it is Rutland now.
Jmastro
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Jmastro »

Hmmm, this may sound crazy, because i know you've tried nazdar... but have you tried an epoxy mixing clear with just the catalyst? Once that catalyst is in the mixture gets thicker, you can adjust that with thinner... Nazdar does make an epoxy mixing clear in their ADE series. Use that with thier ADE677 catalyst and a very little RE-180 thinner. This is an air cure or heat cure. it will air cure 100% after 24 hours. But there could still be a better method yet... have you thought doming? My company has a doming machine made by Demak. It's the very best system for doming giving you crystal clear raised image with absolutely ZERO yellowing. I may be able to help you out. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jennifer Mastro
585 436 7570
jmastro@mastrographics.com
www.mastrographics.com