How much time do you give someone?

Discuss day to day business affairs.
Including: Scheduling, Pricing, Money Managment, Employees, Wages, Business Opportunities & Marketing
Industry Work Shops and Classes
TMP_D
Intern
Intern

How much time do you give someone?

Post by TMP_D »

I bought out a guy’s print shop about six months ago now, I taught this guy how to print about 10 - 12 years ago, he came down with some medical issues that has shut down his ability to print. I had been kicking around the idea of starting a print shop but have been out of it for awhile, so I worked out a "verbal agreement" with him and bought his shop. He agreed to be somewhat of a sales rep, and for bringing me in some of his old accounts I would pay him a sales reps commission.

It took me a few months to get the shop up and running, but I have been running now for about 2 or so months. The communication between me and this guy has faded to basically nothing since the time I have opened my shop. I feel I have given him a good amount of time to work with these former clients, but am concerned that he is not all that committed to it now.

Could you give me any advice on how to handle this situation, I am thinking I need to step in myself and bring in some of his old clients, or at least present myself to them as a new print shop.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How much time do you give someone?

Post by ROADSIDE »

You prolly should have had a NON COMPETE clause in the purchase.

Also did you get his client list or "little black book" for the business with the purchase?
Are you sure he even had any customers that would actually want to come back?

If you need the work and have the ability and means to get it... then go get it!
just dont piss off the competition with silly signs all over their lawn ;)
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
TMP_D
Intern
Intern

Post by TMP_D »

The shop that I bought was around 30 miles away from me, another town. I have not advertised any for the local stuff (schools ect.); there is another local printer where I’m at. I’m not looking to take any of their business, but I do think over time some will drift my way. They have been the only printer in this community for a long time, and people don’t like them much, im not attempting to get anything local, all that i have done so far has been in other areas

I do know who he has printed for in the past, I have all his films and sampling of past prints, I printed for the guy a few times when he got really busy too

Oh well, we live and learn

I have actually not advertised anywhere, no signs or anything else
pdxkylem
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by pdxkylem »

Your Mr. Nice Guy attitude does not follow good business practices. You are in business to make money and be well thought of in your community. Keep in mind that you likely will not be able to acquire any satisfied customers from any competitor with just cheap pricing or anything else. Don't worry about taking away business from a competitor. If your competitor is providing quality printing and good service to their clients you won't get them as customers anyway.
Elite Northwest
ahmed11
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ahmed11 »

informative thread