HELP WITH COREL X3

Share questions, suggestions, and information about Adobe, Corel and other graphics products.
Software Review and Rating.

Moderator: Moderator Team

5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

HELP WITH COREL X3

Post by 5thQuarterSports »

I am from the Paint Shop Pro Generation. I am having a hard time learning how to color separate in Corel X3. Can anyone give me a FREE laymen's tutorial. I'm not formiliar with Corel at all so please keep that in mind.
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

I use Corel 12...Assuming it is still the same...

If you have vector art with each color assigned a pantone color (if not, assign each color a pantone color). When your print box comes up there is a "separations" tab. Click it and check the "print separations box"...Then uncheck the CMYK boxes and only check the assigned pantones boxes. Hit print preview and you should see them...

If you are printing 4 color process (CMYK) of a bitmap. Click the separations tab and C M Y K boxes should already be checked. Preview it...There should be 4 pages...

Thats my quick run through. Theres a lot more bleed options and what not. But I do my separations/bleeds manually (old school). There should be some tutorials on the web...

If you want to convert a bitmap to spot printing, there is a lot more to it (photo-paint). Thats a whole other ball of wax...

Hope that helps!!!
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

COREL X3

HOW DO YOU ASSIGN A PANTONE COLOR? SORRY ABOUT THE DUMB QUESTIONS.
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

What are you working with...A bitmap? Vector art?
How many colors is the design? How many colors are you printing?
What color garment are you printing on (black)?

Be more specific so I can help you better...
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

I am working on jpg files. I am just trying to learn how to separate colors in Corel x3. But my plans are to print using 1-6 colors printing on t-shirts, most probably white. I use to screen print years ago in high school and am formiliar with burning screens, but back then I would draw my art on vellum or transparentcy. Now I have purchased new equipment and I am new to the whole digital (Corel Draw) thing. I have worked with Paint Shop Pro (mainly for web graphics) but never Corel or Photoshop. Sorry to keep ramble, but I just wanted you to know that I need a heavy learning curve. :) Thanks.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

ok....

Rule #1 You get out what you put in!
JPG & GIF are not good for printing of any kind. The are not going to separate they way you want them to. You will have some people tell you that they use JPG all the time and they work fine..... If possible stick to vector (eps or ai or even pdf) For full color graphics use PSD or whatever corels high end extension is.

Rule #2 LEARN THE LINGO
Do you know what PDF means?
What about GIF or JPG?
LPI? DPI? Dot Gain? moire?
If you dont know what these are then when you are taking a tutorial you will be in the dark. ((remember elementary school... I bet you had vocabulary before reading and writing))

Rule #3 You have to crawl before you can run
Dont take on complex jobs when you are first starting out. You will not make enough money to cover your time. Know your limits and stick to them.

Rule #4 Use an Apple computer and Adobe software.
If you just bought windows vista you are not worthy of advice and you are doomed to suffer.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

At present I don't have the resources to buy an Apple. I will in the furture (not near). I know that Apple's are far more superior for graphics work, but for now I am using PC with Windows XP and Corel X3. I appreciate your advice and believe me...any will help.
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

There is NOTHING wrong with Corel! Especially 12 - X3...Most people that dislike Corel haven't used it or haven't used a version post Corel 3...I use both Corel (12) and Adobe CS2 and prefer Corel for my vector design. CS2 is better for web graphics and digital print design. Corel is also better for learning on, even though there are more Adobe tutorials (recently there has been a lot of Corel tutorials)...

Check out this Corel tutorial for bitmap color separation. It should do the trick for you! http://www.advancedartist.com/video/bitmapcontour.html
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

Awsome

That is what I'm talking about!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....KEEP THEM COMING IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE.
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

If you ever get really stuck...and need the seps....I know there are several artist that will separate for you for a small fee.
I have been doing manual seps in CorelDRAW for years...I do not use Corel's automatic separations...you get so much more control of individual chokes, spreads and underbases doing it manually.

Kros
Krosbone Graphix
krosbonez@hotmail.com
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

Kros...

How can I learn to do it manually? Got any resources or tutorials?
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

I will look and see if I can find any tutorials...I am all self taught...I could try and make a tutorial...never done it before...
Here is a quick example:
I take my completed vector art, add my regi marks. Then duplicate the image once for every color I am using. Each one I then change the color I need to a solid RBG black (like for the red, I would change it all to RBG black) and everything else on that sep would be changed to white...do this for each sep...gives you control to add choke to underbases and spread for top colors...
I know this sounds like alot of work...but once you do it a few times you will notice it is very quick and very accurate...You can also adjust the individual color seps to get a better print....for instance...when CorelDRAW separates gradients, you have to keep perfect registration on your press or you will see a little space between the the gradients...with manual seps you can adjust he distance of the gradients for each color to create a somewhat "overlap"...which gives you a very smooth blend of colors...
I will sep out all of my colors on the same page, then just print each one at a time....doing this, you do not have to use the seps in CorelDRAW print que...instead leave it set off of seps..and just make sure to set up your postscript to work with your screen mesh and detail....156 mesh 20-30 dpi...190 mesh 20-40 dpi....230 mesh 20-45 dpi....305 mesh 40-55 dpi.
I will see what I can do about making a tutorial...it will probably be mostly video since I am a visual person...

kros
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

Kros,

I appreciate the info. I too am a visual person and a tutorial would be great.

Thanks again.
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

Note that 5thQuaterSports is using a bitmap...So it is a lot more involved to do separations and bleed/trap...

I suggest you fool around with the CorelTrace program to convert bitmaps to vector and then do your manual seps, bleed, trap...

Heres a shitty tutorial from Corel...
http://www.corel.com/content/pdf/cgsx3/ ... s/dr_4.pdf
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

kros,

how do you add reg marks without using seperation?
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

I use the common bullets font that comes default with CorelDRAW....
Pull up your Insert Character docker>select common bullets
scroll through them, there are several types of regis there....I take the standard one (circle and vertical/horizontal cross) Adjust the nodes on the 4 bars to extend them out a little more, change the color to registration color,then save it in my symbol library.
Now it is available for me to pull out and use with any design...
Select your whole image, drag a guide line to the center boxes, then drag your regi to the guides..
Thats how I do it...I am sure there are other ways...If you are working with an older version of Corel that doesnt have the symbol library, just save the regi as a template or just a normal file you can import in when you need.
So when you go to print you are selecting your design and the regis you added...no need to use Corel's small hard to wash-out regis...My printers really appreciate the "bolder" regis, they say it makes line-up alot quicker.

As for the other part...I did not read all into it...Using bitmaps in CorelDRAW.....I only use them to recreate the design to a vector...Like f_bomb said...play around with the trace...which works pretty good but adds like a Gazillion nodes (very bad if you want to use the design for vinyl cut as well) or if time permits....start learning the basics of all vector programs and use your Bezier tool and node editor to "hand" trace the design (not recomended for time crunch jobs without experience)...or us Photoshop and the color selector to sep out the job...(not as easy I it sounds but very fun)

Hope I could be of some help
kros