printing on underarmour

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

pitt59
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

printing on underarmour

Post by pitt59 »

I looked for a tag that stated what exactly its made out of but cant find any, Has anyone printed on underarmour? do i need to add a catalyst or can ordinary plastisol handle it?
Carlos Aguilar
Ugly Guppy Productions
281-704-4534
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

you need a flex additive.

One Stroke makes some inks that work on it nicely.
They are similar to printing on wrestling singlets (i'm not the best speller)
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
dkutz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

reply from underarmor

Post by dkutz »

heres the reply I got from there tech support...

Choosing an ink
Polyester in colors, if not handled properly, is prone to dye/color migration during the screen printing process.
 Always request polyester specific “dye block” or low bleed type inks
 Low Bleed inks provide both chemical and physical resistance to dye migration.
 Polyester type and low bleed inks have inherently higher viscosity. These inks should be used as supplied and not modified with reducers or bases which can adversely affect the products bleed resistance and opacity. Viscosity will drop during the print process. The ink should be stirred prior to dispensing into the screen to maintain a consistent viscosity and optimum print performance. Please consult your ink manufacturer before making any modifications to your ink set up.
 Under Armour recommends
o Item #: POLY-1070
o Union Ink Company Inc
o 453 Broad Avenue, Ridgefield, NJ 07657
o sales@unionink.com OR http://www.unionink.com

Choosing screens
Density of the mesh screen is critical to get the proper amount of ink on the fabric. A courser fabric will allow for a heavier ink deposit thus providing better opacity and higher bleed resistance. Each fabric may require a different mesh setup.
 The finer the fabric, the finer the mesh count.
 Under Armour recommends an 80 mesh count for general use
 Workable mesh range for UA fabrics is 80-110 count
Mesh Tension: Keep mesh tension tight. Tension should be 28-40 Newtons. A loosely tensioned mesh will restrict ink flow, which makes it difficult to control the application. The result can be less opacity and bleed resistance. A properly (tightly) tensioned mesh results in less squeegee pressure which will deposit more ink on the surface of the fabric versus pressed into and through the substrate.

Emulsion or Stencil Types
Any type of plastisol resistant product may be used. However, when coating or applying emulsions and stencils to the screen mesh one should keep in mind, the heavier or thicker the stencil the heavier the ink deposit will be, resulting in optimal opacity and or bleed resistance. The type of emulsion or stencil being used is as important as the process of application. When applying liquid type emulsions to a screen you should begin by applying your first 2 coats (wet on wet) to print side (side which contacts the garment). Then apply 2 coats (wet on wet) to the squeegee side of the screen and allow coated screen to dry in a horizontal, print position down.
** Tip: the use of a dehumidifier in the screen coating room will not only speed the drying of the emulsion it will also ensure the stencil will be dried thoroughly.

Squeegee Durometer
Squeegee hardness or durometer is critical to ensure proper penetration of the ink into the textile but not through it.
 Under Armour recommends a 70 durometer squeegee (medium)
 Most fabrics require 2 strokes (print/flash/print) to achieve the proper application

Process
The standard process for printing Under Armour fabrics is Print-Flash-Print
Two color prints should always be flashed between colors
 Ink Temperature during flashing = 240- 270F
 Dwell Time 5-6 seconds
** Setting will vary according to fabric type, moisture content, ink type, ink deposit, equipment settings and brand.
** Caution: when flashing an underbase, care should be taken to avoid over flashing or curing the underbase. If an underbase is fully cured, the result could be poor wash resistance of the ink printed on top due to the poor intercoat adhesion. You could also experience an inconsistent or rough surface finish.

Curing
Curing is the most important step. It is very important to control curing temperature to avoid color bleeding and fabric shrinkage.
 Under Armour recommends curing at 310-330F Ink temperature. Simply setting the drier to this temperature does not in any way indicate the actual ink temperature. Care should be taken to ensure proper ink temperature. Excessive ink temperature will result in color bleeding, and low ink temperature will result in poor wash fastness.
** Use a temperature probe periodically to ensure that the proper ink temperature is being maintained.
 Belt Speed will vary depending upon fabric and print setup
 Dwell Time – Ink temperature should be at cure temperature for 10-15 seconds prior to exiting the drier chamber. Overall dwell time may be as high as 45-60 seconds providing a slow increase in ink temperature as well as a slow cooling effect.
Disclaimer
 The instructions above represent general printing guidelines
 Please consult your ink supplier for print setup options specific to your project
 Under Armour is not responsible in any way for garments damaged during screen printing or other garment embellishment processes applied after garment purchase.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Great Post!
Someone just called me about under armor.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

A great and timely post.
That info applies to all of the new
wicking fabrics.

Gonna print that out and add it to my tech binder.

Thanks.
Khroma Studio
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: printing on underarmour

Post by Khroma Studio »

Hi i am actually getting mad!!!
can not to print black UA fabric it shrinks during flash curing!!!!!!!
so next color looks misregistered, i just finished a royal color without any problems.

What can i do guys?