How do I use transparencies on larger screens?

Talk about what's on your mind! For topics unrelated to our other forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sagipson
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

How do I use transparencies on larger screens?

Post by sagipson »

Hey!

So I have only done a few photo emulsions before and I am a little confused as to how I should go about using bigger screens. Until my latest project, I never needed anything larger than an 8x11 picture, so my transparencies have always been able to work. This time around I want to fill up the entire 10x14 frame and I have no clue how to do it. I am making a "Frankie Say Relax" type shirt, so I need to take advantage of all the real estate I have. How would I go about doing this?

Also, I will soon be upgrading to a larger screen. At that point do I continue to use transparencies or do I use some other method of putting the image on my screen? Are there any other methods?

Thanks so much!
anthemscreenprinting
Intern
Intern

Re: How do I use transparencies on larger screens?

Post by anthemscreenprinting »

There are a few methods of burning images that are larger than the standard 8.5" x 11". The most common way is using a large format printer such as the Epson 1400 which can print up to 13" x 19" transparencies. An easier and less costly method is to print portions of the image onto separate 8.5" x 11" transparencies, and then taping the transparencies together with clear scotch tape. Even on larger screens such as 23" x 31", transparencies are still used to burn the image on the screen. If you plan on printing many larger images, I strongly suggest you invest in a large format printer.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by anthemscreenprinting on Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthem Screen Printing
  • Screen Printing Supplies
  • Screen Burning Services
messabout
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by messabout »

Using up the entire screen is a very bad idea if you intend to do decent work. If you use the screen all the way out to the frame sidebars, then you will not be able to use any off contact at all. Do get some bigger frames, A rule of thumb is to use only 35% of the screen area. Most printers will cheat a little but if you have a job that needs to have sharpness, and consistant and controlled ink deposit, do not fill too much of your screen with the image.
alicelee400
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by alicelee400 »

anthemscreenprinting Definitely agree with what you stated. Your explanation was certainly the easiest to understand. I tell you, I usually get irked when folks discuss issues that they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail right on the head and explained out everything without complication. Maybe, people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.
TheMediumTwo
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by TheMediumTwo »

does the tape not affect the curing during emulsion? I am curious as to why the tape method wouldn't work to create transparancies for say A1 or A0 sized prints on a steep budget. Could you elaborate on why you would want to purchase a large format printer for these instances?
Emily Blunt
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Emily Blunt »

Spending the whole screen is a terrible thought on the off chance that you plan to do nice work. In the event that you utilize the screen such a distance out to the edge sidebars, at that point you won't have the capacity to utilize any off contact whatsoever. Do get some greater casings, A general guideline is to utilize just 35% of the screen region. Most printers will cheat a little however in the event that you have an occupation that needs sharpness, and consistent and controlled ink store, don't fill excessively of your screen with the picture.
Bob
Intern
Intern

Post by Bob »

Best way I've found is to tile the sheets. Imagine an 11x17 poster print, this would require 2 letter size (8.5x11) positives: One for each side of the sheet.