Help wanted: building a screen printing clamp pls read

Talk about what's on your mind! For topics unrelated to our other forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

messenjar
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Help wanted: building a screen printing clamp pls read

Post by messenjar »

Hi all this my first post hope it's in the right place,

Well I’m just getting into screen printing, I do a bit at Uni but I’m trying to set up a little studio at home I have some screens and will be getting some squeegees soon. I just need some help in making a clamp (like the one in the pictures) which I well attach to my table and then the screen:

Image Image

I’m ok at D.I.Y so I should be able to put it together but I’m not sure what the parts are called like the bolts, and where I could purchase them from, and any suggestions on what I could use to make the bracket type things.

The version I plan to make will be longer and have to 4 screws 2 top and to bottom

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ant
d fleming

clamps

Post by d fleming »

Just order them. They're cheap enough. Tubelite or Melray would probably have them. They are called hinge clamps. They come in a model that you can adjust rear height as well.
messenjar
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by messenjar »

thanks for the reply but all the hinge clamps that i have seen would require me screwing them to my table which i dont want to do as i want to be able to move the clamps. Do you know what the name of that sort of screw is.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Looks like a simple thumb screw. Perhaps you could mount hingeclamp to a board or length of metal and clamp that to your table.
messenjar
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by messenjar »

Thanks for the suggestion just finding it quite difficult to find the Hinge clamps in the UK or from an american online store that is willing to ship them to the UK.
screenzzzz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

clamp hinge

Post by screenzzzz »

Actually me ol darlin your picture is the answer! If it were me, I would not buy two regular screw down clamp hinges from Tubelite or whatever distributors are there. I would buy four and hold them hinge to hinge, with a little aluminum epoxy between them and screw them together.

“The main purpose of science is simplicity and as we understand more things, everything is becoming simpler.”Image
messenjar
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by messenjar »

Thanks for the tip mate, but I actually found some plans to build a press on line and adapted it to what I wanted and the parts I could did my best and its and works well I use 2 parliament hinges drilled hole in them for the bolts the attached these to my to some wood I attached to the table top here a few pics.

screenzzzz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by screenzzzz »

Fantastic, screen printing is a pisser, I hope you get as much out of it as I do.
GAry