Shading Question

Talk about what's on your mind! For topics unrelated to our other forums.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mk2 16vt
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Shading Question

Post by mk2 16vt »

New to this forum so ill kick it off with a question as im fairly new to screenprinting as well. I do a lot of realistic charcoal portraits and as of late I have had the idea of printing them on some shirts. My only question is how would I go about doing the shading and slight changes in color to pull of a realistic image? Will I need to burn several screens for each shade or is there an easier way of going about this? I have seen shading done before with screen print but unsure of how they pulled it off. Any info would be sweet.

Thanks in advanced,
Trav
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Shading Question

Post by tompaine »

If it's B&W you can do it as a single colour with halftones.
If it's more complex, index printing might be the way to go - where the image is separated into spot colours and each pixel in the image is given a colour.
You might also look at simulated process, where you separate into several spot colours but halftone them.
If you post an image I can give you an opinion on the most suitable.
mk2 16vt
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Shading Question

Post by mk2 16vt »

As soon as i figure out how to post a pic ill post one, there all black and white so i guess halftones are the way to go. Not sure how to do that, trust me when i say im new to screen printing lol. I guess some research is in order on halftones. Thanks for the reply