Seeking Advise/Questions from you experts

Discuss the various topics of non-textile screen printing.
Plastics, Woods, Metals, Glass, Ceramics, Vinyls
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shayna
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Seeking Advise/Questions from you experts

Post by Shayna »

:wink: I am currently studying printing processes (Graphics degree) and hope to go into Ink Formulating. I have some questions I need the insight from experienced printers. Any insight you could give me to the following questions would be greatly appreciated!

1. What are some examples of modifications that can be done to ink for an inline process with minimal downtime?

2. What are various ink types and how they apply to different operations such as Screen Printing, Vacuum forming, Die cutting, Shearing, Sawing, Heat Bending and laminating.

3. What are some typical risks you need to watch out for when matching ink to different processes?

4. What are some various ink types and how they perform with different substrates such as Celtec, Styrene, Paper, Cling, Co-poly, Vinyl, Banner, etc...

5. What are some typical risks you need to watch out for when matching ink to different substrates?

6. What are some typical Total Preventive Maintainance steps performed on various machines/equipment in printing?
geneh
Intern
Intern

Re: Seeking Advise/Questions from you experts

Post by geneh »

Wow lots of questions!!! But its nice to see someone wanting to learn and asking for advice. I will do my best to answer your questions but some of these have multiple answers and your ink supplier would give you the best advice.

1. Color adjustments as long as the color is not to far off. Thinning, tweeking opacity of the ink, just to name a few.
2. This left up to you or your printer and the ink supplier, again your ink supplier has the data on what inks can do what. Each ink is formulated to do certian thing.
3. Ink compatibilty to procss.
4. Again your ink supplier is the answer.
5. Ink compatibilty to substrate. Your ink supplier can tell you what to use.
6. Read the owners manual and keep them clean and oiled where need be refer to owners manual.

I see that you are thinking about going into ink formlating. As you can see from my answers that the ink supplier and there tech departments are a printers best friend. Well at least in my field of printing I produce prototypes and do R&D for a large manufacturing company. Hope this helps keep asking questions thats my advice.