Trouble printing small text

Discuss the various topics of non-textile screen printing.
Plastics, Woods, Metals, Glass, Ceramics, Vinyls
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

jbouley
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Trouble printing small text

Post by jbouley »

I am printing digipaks for a band on chipboard. The first layer went down great but I'm on the second layer and the small type will not print. I get blurry smudges or nothing at all. I have tried thinning the ink and also washing the screen out several times. The most luck ive had was right after I washed the screen and used almost watery ink I got about 95% of what I needed to come out pretty decent. This quickly went back to printing almost nothing after about 4 more prints.

Any thoughts?
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Trouble printing small text

Post by tompaine »

Are you losing it on the screen or is it the roughness of the substrate?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Maybe need some retarder for the ink.
geneh
Intern
Intern

Post by geneh »

It sounds like to me that you might be rewetting your first layer of ink thus causing sticking and plugging up your mesh. The more solvent you put in your ink the worse it will get like you said 1 somewhat good print and then back to what you got nothing. Make sure your fist layer of ink is fully cured and try again. That's my thought Good Luck!!
jbouley
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by jbouley »

whats retarder? The screen looks perfect. I just cant get it to print. Im using water based inks and the first layer has been left to dry for over a week. Im also not noticing and blue which is the color of the first layer mixing with the white which is what im trying to print.
geneh
Intern
Intern

Post by geneh »

Retarder is a slower evaperating solvent or gel. But since your using a water based ink see if the ink manufacture has a retarder if not you can use gylcerin you can find it at Triangle Ink. Or you can use Butal Cellusolve 1-2% max. Nazdar carries RE 180 which has the Butal Cellusolve in it. I use it or the glycerin in my water based inks that want to dry out on me in the screen. The other advice I have is once you start to print don't stop keep moving your ink this will help with drying out the faster the better. Good luck let us know how it goes.
Business Forms

Post by Business Forms »

Most fonts work on 110 but you may have to go to 155 or 180 with fine serifed fonts. Also your exposure method could be changed.slightly higher mesh count, and better film. I use vellum, so I am sure a transparency will work much better!
ChrisScoff
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ChrisScoff »

Hi Jbouley! you need to get film screens to print small text. you can also get help from following thread.
viewtopic.php?t=964