Illustrator CS2 - stupid question

Share questions, suggestions, and information about Adobe, Corel and other graphics products.
Software Review and Rating.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tnelson42345
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Illustrator CS2 - stupid question

Post by tnelson42345 »

I have just started playing with Illustrator and I'm struggling to get the Live Trace to function the way I want it to. Is Live Trace the only way to convert an image to vector art? I know I just need more practice with Live Trace, but it seems like there has to be an easier way? Can you not just save the file as a .ai extension?

Thanks in advance!
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

honestly...
I specialize in illustrator and the live trace kinda sucks. Although better in CS3
90% of the time I just redraw the graphic.
After a few 1000 hours you will get good at it and it will go fast
Until then.... practice practice practice

If you would like... post an image of what you are trying to do and maybe someone can help
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
tnelson42345
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tnelson42345 »

I'm not working on any one specific graphic, mostly just playing with several different images I pulled from the web. But that brings up another question?

Redraw the graphic? How do you guys do this? Free hand draw it and then scan it? Or use something like a drawing tablet from Wacom? Or you do actually know enough about Illustrator to use all of the drawing tools?

I used to love drawing free hand images and I really enjoy Photoshop, so I thought I would put the two together :)
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

well... I draw all the time (Degree is in Art)
but what I mean by redraw would be just that.
Take whatever the customer gives you and make it work.
most of the time this is done by placing the image into the AI document,
then using layers (layer are the key to success) and the pen tool to basically trace it.
I mainly use a mouse...I will try to make a tutorial for ya but I cant promise anything

Learn about LAYERS and the different tools and what they do.

AVOID: Gredient Mesh Tool (advanced users only)
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
tnelson42345
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tnelson42345 »

Roadside shoot me an email sometime. I'd love talk about getting started in the screen printing business. A friend and myself are looking into starting the business together. You seem to be willing to help out and I'm willing to listen!

tony_nelson20@excite.com