Adobe Photoshop

Share questions, suggestions, and information about Adobe, Corel and other graphics products.
Software Review and Rating.

Moderator: Moderator Team

lulufisk
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Adobe Photoshop

Post by lulufisk »

All of a sudden I have three clients who do their "own art". They were in Adobe Photoshop. Since it is mutli-color art - it is completely usable to me. I wind up rebuilding the whole thing. I work in CorelDraw. I put it into Trace and sometimes that works but if they are working in anything but black and white - it is not good. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through this as simply as possible? So far I haven't convinced them they need to work in a vector program. Any help would be appreciated. I just got some new art from them today and I am up again the wall to get it done.

lulu
Jeremy
Intern
Intern

Post by Jeremy »

Working in Photoshop should work as long as the document is a high resolution and uses spot colors. Are they using actual spot colors in Photoshop, or just RGB or CMYK? Chances are they aren't separating the colors properly -- at least no one ever does for me. It may be worth checking though, as then you could save each channel as a bitmap or even grayscale file format that you could output in whichever layout program you use -- in your case, Corel Draw. If it's just CYMK or RGB you're probably doing the right thing and rebuilding it.

When someone does this to me I do sometimes try to separate it myself using various tools with channels and spot colors in photoshop, but it can be tedious.

PS - Keep trying to get them to use Illustrator, or tell them to learn how to use spot colors in Photoshop.
Fresh Mode
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Fresh Mode »

Everything that comes in a non-raster format, we just send out and charge for artwork fees- there are TONS of companies out there that will convert anything to vector. Just google it.
Nosman
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Adobe Photoshop

Post by Nosman »

I would recommend that you get Adobe Photoshop and learn it. it is a GREAT tool and i think it would help you a lot. and it will allow you to edit photoshop files with ease.
"Live Today Like It's The Only Day You Have"
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Post by tompaine »

Photoshop can handle spot colours, if they choose to pretend to be designers - charge them for your time and tell them why you're doing it.
Maccraig
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Maccraig »

If the files are in Photoshop you should separate them into spot channels using Photoshop. There are many people who can do this type of work for you, just pass the charge on to the client. I usually charge $20 per color to sep a photoshop file.