Help with pdf and doc files

Share questions, suggestions, and information about Adobe, Corel and other graphics products.
Software Review and Rating.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maxie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Help with pdf and doc files

Post by Maxie »

I get a lot of files sent to me that are Word.doc or pdf files.
I need to get them into Corel x3 or Photoshop CS so I can adjust size etc and print film.
What is the procedure for opening these files?
Can I keep fonts etc?
Will appreciate any advice.
Tks.
ftembroidery
Intern
Intern

Post by ftembroidery »

I'm going to copy/paste a document I have prepared to hand/fax/Email any customers. This is just how I do it. Maybe someone will use Word documents. I don't. Some pdf files can be ok, because they're vectors. Anyway, here's my notice for customers ~~~~~

Accepted Artwork Formats for Screen Printing:

Best: Corel Draw up to version X3, Corel PhotoPaint up to version X3, Adobe Illustrator up to version CS2, Adobe Photoshop up to version CS2. Make sure your text is converted to curves (in Corel) or paths (in Adobe) so your fonts display correctly! (In Corel, select the text, then choose Arrange, and then select Convert to Curves. In Adobe, select the text, and then choose Type, and then select Create Outlines). We can also usually accept EPS files generated from most applications.

Photoshop and PhotoPaint artwork must be at least 300dpi at the actual size it will be printed. It needs to be this size or larger when you create the document. Changing it after the fact typically doesn’t work. If you are not sure what resolution your file is, in Photoshop choose Image, and then select Image Size. In PhotoPaint, select File, and then select Document Properties.

TIFF or BMP, same as Photoshop/PhotoPaint. 300dpi at the size it will be printed.

Un-Recommended Formats:

Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) – won’t work, don’t try.

Microsoft Paint & similar programs – you can use Paint as long as the file is 300dpi at the size it will be printed when the file is created. You must save the file as a TIFF or BMP.

JPEG – Although sometimes it is possible to work from a jpeg, we try to avoid it due to the huge variation in quality. If it’s all you’ve got, send it and we will see what we can do. It might be possible for us to redraw the design and save it in a recommended format.

GIF – these are used for the web, and that is all. Printing from a .gif is a bad idea. When you see something on your computer monitor, no matter what the resolution of your artwork file, what you are looking at is at 72dpi which is very low resolution and inadequate for printing a good image. GIF files are such a low resolution image.
Maxie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Maxie »

Thanks for your reply.
Do you have Illustrator or do you open the ai files in Corel?
We actually get a lot of work as jpg and have no problem if it's 200 or above dpi.
Today I copy and pasted a word document and the result wasn't bad. I wasn't going to retype a whole page.
It often happens that customers send a 72 dpi and when we say it's not good enough they resave the same image as a 200 and think they've solved the problem.
If you don't mind I'll start sending my customers a copy of your letter.
Thanks,
Maxie.
ftembroidery
Intern
Intern

Post by ftembroidery »

I actually have both CorelGraphics Suite 12 and X3 as well as Adobe CreativeSuite2. As far as I'm concerned, use the letter. It was posted on another screen printing forum for use by any interested, and I slightly modified it to include all the programs I have. I imagine you'll do the same.