what should I charge customers for setup and printing?

Discuss day to day business affairs.
Including: Scheduling, Pricing, Money Managment, Employees, Wages, Business Opportunities & Marketing
Industry Work Shops and Classes
KillerBill
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

what should I charge customers for setup and printing?

Post by KillerBill »

Hi :D
I've just started recieving requests to print tshirts for stag dos and university clubs, but how do i create a pricing policy?
Aside from the cost of shirts and ink, what should i charge for my time and setting up screens??

any help would be brilliant! Cheers
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

well....
there are a million schools of thought on pricing.
The fundamentals (as I see them)
#1 OVER HEAD - What does it cost to run your setup for a day? Gas,Electric,water,phone,man hours (your pay)

#2 GARMENT COST - What is the shirt costing you? I normally times that by 2 or 2.25 if the customer is a dick. (I am being honest here)

#3 PRODUCTION COST - What are your material/supply costs? Emulsion,Ink,Screens,Chemicals & Spray, etc.

just look at it this way.... If you charge for screens... You can buy more screens. If you dont charge for screens.... well you are going to be losing money.

Some people figure their screens into the shirts cost and have all inclusive pricing but thats not always the best.

Do you want to work for free? I sure as hell dont.

I have a guy down the road a few miles that works out of his garage and he does small quantities at really cheap prices... but his artwork is not as good.
He has less over head and less equipment and charges alot less.... Works 6am to 8pm almost everyday and prolly makes about 1/3 the profit I do in 30 hours a week

I just wish my competitors were cool... I wouldnt my getting all the local shops organized so we can do like the gas sations and fix prices to maximize profit...
I have tried calling some of my competitors in the past to discuss business practices with them but it never really works out.

Feel free to ask me whatever.... that goes for all of you.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
totwdave
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by totwdave »

Typically we price setups as Screens and Films on an initial order and charge half that for resetting up a job, Ive worked at places that only charge for the initial setup and don't charge on reorders, and places that charge full price on reorders.
I just wish my competitors were cool... I wouldnt my getting all the local shops organized so we can do like the gas sations and fix prices to maximize profit...
I have tried calling some of my competitors in the past to discuss business practices with them but it never really works out.
Yeah- even the people I'm 'on good terms' with aren't too willing to disclose how they come up with their pricing :P

I might call around to competitors once a year or so, posing as a potential customer to find out what their pricing policies are and adjust my prices accordingly to stay competitive and still make a profit, we charge a little less than a couple places here in town and a little more than some others. I know they do the same to us

Anyway- yeah.... Screens- I've factored in the cost of the screen itself(price to buy it new, shipping, etc), time involved in coating, burning, washout, taping up the screen, set up on the press and finally reclaiming the screen to come up with our screen charges.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Oh man I hate the FAKE customer..... I think thats the WORST business practice in the world.
so so so old world.
I am pretty good a telling who fake customers are.
I had one guy come in and pose as a customer when i already knew he worked at another shop.
needless to say he was a little embarrassed when I told him I knew who he was.

I dont have a price list for that reason.... I try to have the highest prices in town. Since I do the best work ;)

What were you thinking of doing KillerBill? Charge or No Charge?
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.