Sports Teams Trademark Info?

Discuss day to day business affairs.
Including: Scheduling, Pricing, Money Managment, Employees, Wages, Business Opportunities & Marketing
Industry Work Shops and Classes
notsky
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Sports Teams Trademark Info?

Post by notsky »

I often do screenprinting for a small college in Texas, and student organizations often come to me to make them shirts for various events with the schools name or logo in their design. Unfortunately, I have to turn them down on most requests, because i am not sure if their desired reference to the school on the shirt is legal.... but I think i can make references to the school as long as it is not a Trademarked reference... I think (isnt the term 'unlicenced apparel'?).

In other words, it would be a great help if someone could point me in the right direction for information on how sports teams and schools trademark their names, logos, colors and what would constitute trademark infringement. I'm not looking to break the law, just want to see how I can work in line with it!

thanks!
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sports Teams Trademark Info?

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would say call the school and ask them what the rules are. Each school will have different rules about use of their logo.

In most cases... if you are contracted by a group or club sanctioned by the school you will have permission to use their logo as long as you follow their terms of use.
I have run into a few Universities that require I pay a licensing fee in order to use their trademarked logos or slogans. Depending on how big the school is the fee may vary.
Last one I remember was something like $440 per year but thats not bad if you can print anything you want with their logo.... again terms of use and restrictions will vary.

Professional teams are another story and one I dont even bother with.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Sports Teams Trademark Info?

Post by tompaine »

It isn't easy to give an answer because it depends on the college, get the students to ask about the copyright situation.