HELP! Pallet Adhesive

Dicuss all consumables.
Inks, Emulsions, Liquids, Chemicals, etc.
Share your tips and tricks. Who's got the best deals?
faultleftscar
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

HELP! Pallet Adhesive

Post by faultleftscar »

Hello,
I just purchased a simple 4-color print station (Klinge) and am in need of help. I would like to know if it's necessary that I order spray adhesive that is specifically made (or marketed) for this purpose, or if there are any 3M-type products that I can pick up at Target or Walmart that will do the trick. I just need something that will keep a shirt on the pallet while I'm printing, will allow the shirt to come off when I'm done, and won't come off onto the fabric. Any suggestions? Ground shipping is phenominal and I'd like to avoid paying it if I can.

Thank you for your time. :D
-Alex
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Your supplier should be able to get it for you. NazDar and MelRay both carry spray tac for textile printing. Get it by the case so you won't be paying shipping on an amount that needs to be reordered constantly.
Last edited by d fleming on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
X_Autotype_#1
Intern
Intern

Post by X_Autotype_#1 »

There are almost as many pallet adhesives available as there are trees! You can purchase adhesive in spray cans as a single unit, or by the case. You can purchase pallet adhesive by the pot in quart, gallon, 5 gallon, and 50 gallon drums. You can also purchase elaborate automatic spray delivery systems that will automatically spray a squirt of the right amout of adhesive onto your pallet at the right moment, or use a paint roller to apply the adhesive. You can also buy pallet adhesive in rolls, like adhesive tape. There are water based product which are "re-wettable" and solvent based products available. The choice is endless!

Take a look at the Screen Printers Buyers Guide in the adhesive section, and you'll see how many companies are selling product for this purpose. You can also consult your local screen printing dealer for his advice. Chances are that he has made a deal with a manufacturer that will provide you with a decent product at a good price, in whatever format you choose to use.

Franklin Adhesives (the maker of the best name in wood glue, Titebond) makes an excellent pallet adhesive specifically for the screen printing market. Check out their web site at www.image-mate.com to see their products.

Best of Luck!
javaboy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by javaboy »

Tee Squares in Atlanta makes a great adhesive and is priced right. I think the contact is Mike.
broham23
Intern
Intern

Re: HELP! Pallet Adhesive

Post by broham23 »

Haha, I think the key word you used was "marketed". I've found many examples of things supposedly made specifically for screen printing, only to find that other, non-screen printing marketed items work just as well. So yeah, a 3M can of spray adhesive from the local craft store will work just fine.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Yeah... watch the chemicals in the spray.
Make sure they dont have Hexon or other cancer causing chemicals.
If you spray the pallet with cheap spray it will damage the shirt and could possible get you sued by the customer you sell it to.
Sometimes CHEAP is not the way to go.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
TMP_D
Intern
Intern

Post by TMP_D »

I know the gas prices are coming down now, at least where I’m at, but still a trip to Wal-Mart or some super store like that still costs me more round trip than most shipping would, and like another post mentioned earlier buy it in bulk and shipping is waved for a lot of places
broham23
Intern
Intern

Post by broham23 »

Ahh yes, well in the interest of avoiding lawsuits, cancer, and destroyed shirts, I'd avoid spray adhesive altogether. Whether it's made specifically for screen printing or not, spray adhesive obviously is bad for your lungs (as are all aerosols), and if you're planning on doing a lot of printing I'd avoid it. It really is for the birds, regardless of how much money you're being charged for it.

I simply got the impression that you were asking if you need to buy a special screen printing adhesive just to stick a shirt to a platen, which you do not. If you don't mind paying shipping then I can recomend a fantastic adhesive that is water based, non-aeresol and extremely cost effective and user friendly. It's called Tekbond adhesive, made by Tekmar. You just spread it onto your boards with a scraper or small piece of heavy cardboard, flash it dry and it's super sticky and long lasting! When your platen gets a fuzzy build up just wet it down with water from a spray bottle and scrub it off with a kitchen scrubber, and then the platens are renewed. I think a gallon costs about $40.00 and will last a very long time.. I love the stuff and use it every day for everything.

And for peace of mind, if you've gotten some 3M adhesive or something similar, it will not damage the shirts. Years ago when I was a hobbyist printer I used it quite a bit to make shirts for myself and for some local bands, and all these years later the shirts are fine. I'm wearing one now.