printing on painter canvas, any ideas ?

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

vito
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

printing on painter canvas, any ideas ?

Post by vito »

hi, have a question about printing on canvas , maybe you guys can help me.

I have a few years experience in screen printing but I never printed on textile, fabric, canvas just on paper or rigid materials.
so...I have some designs and I would like to print the on painter canvas, I would appreciate if you could help me

here are my questions:

1. what mesh do you recommend ? can I use the same theory as for paper print with regards to the design details and mesh ?
2. should I print the design on the canvas first and then stretch it to a frame or the other way ?
3. is it hard to get tight registration with basic hand bench (without carousel) ?
4. what technique to use for registration ?

any other thing to be aware ? thanks
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: printing on painter canvas, any ideas ?

Post by tompaine »

I would think that you need to use spray adhesive to stop the canvas coming up with the screen.
Mesh tpi ~4.5x you lpi
Print then stretch, you might not want heavy ink deposits.
vito
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by vito »

spray adhesive is a good idea, I might attach the canvas to a rigid sheet and then hopefully I won't have problem with registration neither. thanks a lot tompaine
ChristineMoore
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ChristineMoore »

You Can Place your foam rubber on the floor or a table. Put your coated screen frame over it on the inside side of the frame, leaving the flat top pointing up. Put your transparency upside down on top of the screen. Put your piece of glass over the transparency down, and weight it at the edges with books or some other heavy objects. If you have ink cans, they will do fine because they are heavy. Hang your light source about 18 inches above your screen and turn it on for recommended exposure time. Develop with warm water. If your screen doesn't develop, use more water pressure. If your emulsion comes off too easily, increase your exposure time.