Help please: printing red on black

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

W&S
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Help please: printing red on black

Post by W&S »

I need to print red on black shirts using WATERBASED ink. I don't want it to look horrible and am trying to find a way around using a under coat of white.
Any suggestions?
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Please don't mistake this for being a smart ass. Buy some plastisol. base it with white. I've never used water base ink so I don't know the answer for that application. I print on black textiles daily and other than white athletic gold is about the only color you don't need to base with white to get bright color on dark fabrics. You will still want to flash the a/g and double print for vibrance.
tsiartguy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by tsiartguy »

I haven't used either of these ink but it sounds like a probable solution... to keep the extremely softhand feel and look of the waterbase ink, try using a discharge white to "bleach" the print area and then print your waterbase ink on top.

Just a thought, hopefully it helps
Maxie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Maxie »

I have been using water based ink for years and don't know of a water base that will print red or any color on black.
There is a base called Tubilac made by CHT in Germany, gives a reasonable result on dark colors. It's a base that you add pigment to.
For printing on dark colors there is nothing like plastisol, I often print flash and print again without a white base. Solves two screens on a manual and registration problems.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

I've never gotten as bright a red without white underlayment as I have with. I've tried, boy have I. There are some colors, like ath. gold or a light blue, that you can hit, flash and hit again and get a good enough result.You don't need a real heavy white underneath, just a good couple strokes and flash, then hit the red. Again, I've never used water based ink, so I don't know what the answer there would be.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Plasticharge from union.