Ink problem

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

wolf1957
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Ink problem

Post by wolf1957 »

I am printing on a black T , and the problem is the the fibers are lifting and making the surfac all bumpy fro lift the fibers. I think the ink maybe to thin? I am doing a double hit with flash between each pull.

Thanks
tompaine
Folder
Folder

Re: Ink problem

Post by tompaine »

Does thicker ink help?
VVP
Intern
Intern

Post by VVP »

What mesh are you using? Try using a 110. I know a lot of people might disagree but try pushing the squeegee rather than pulling. For me, I have more control when I push the ink. Especially when using white ink. Push pretty slow the first few rounds and go a few inches past the bottom of the image (this will help with keeping the edges of the image from getting fuzzy). Let the pallets and the ink warm up some so that it is more creamy while your printing. Have you adjusted the off contact making sure the screen is just above the shirt rather than right against it when your printing?
wolf1957
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by wolf1957 »

We reduced the tack by using less reducer and adjusted the off contact, but what worked the best was having the right person pushing the squeegee.
VVP
Intern
Intern

Post by VVP »

So are you doing waterbased? I thought you were talking about plastisol.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

wolf1957 wrote:We reduced the tack by using less reducer and adjusted the off contact, but what worked the best was having the right person pushing the squeegee.
works every time. Now have that person teach the first the proper technique.
Business Forms

Post by Business Forms »

Puff is one of the easiest special effect inks to print. Simply print through an 86 or 110 mesh count and cure like a standard T-shirt screen printing ink. ...which ink you are using ?????
Isbella
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Isbella »

make special iron on transfer paper for printing on dark fabric.

That would be your best bet.
taglessthreads.com
Intern
Intern

Post by taglessthreads.com »

To get a good white coat we flood the screen really good before every print and use a 110 mesh screen.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
Calibrated S.P.S.
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Calibrated S.P.S. »

wolf1957 wrote:I am printing on a black T , and the problem is the the fibers are lifting and making the surfac all bumpy fro lift the fibers. I think the ink maybe to thin? I am doing a double hit with flash between each pull.

Thanks
The problem is called "fibrillation" and it has many causes and solutions. The most common cause is due to using a low tension screen, with too thin a coating of emulsion and improper off contact. If your screen is old, or of low tension (wood) and you only use a thin coating of emulsion then have your screen either ON the shirt or do not have enough of a gap (off contact) between then fabric and screen then the ink will create a suction force like two wet sheets of paper do and when you lift the screen up or simply print using an incorrect squeegee angle the ink will pull the shirt fibers up into the mesh.

Another issue is often overlooked is not enough spray adhesive to hold the shirt down, creating a similar effect. Also overflashing can boil the ink...thus allowing the ink to melt down into the shirts weave and then the fibers are not "covered" by the ink. If you see the fibers BEFORE you flash the first print, then all the flashing will do is set them in place forcing you to lay another thicker layer of ink over it to hide them. A quality first printing of white should be smooth, not always opaque as that is another issue all together....but it should be smooth.
ralleydesew
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ralleydesew »

I have the same problem with my C86. She ran out of black ink and I changed the cartridge with the Epson appropriate replacement, but now nothing prints on the page. All cartridges are new. I tried the automatic head cleaning, but in vain. If there is anything I can clean by hand, I'm very practical, just tell me what to do.
charlette
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by charlette »

Hi,
The quality of ink plays an important role as it should be chosen as according to the fiber on which you are going to work on. For thick fiber you must go for viscous ink product as they might spread and destroy what you were trying to
anand.alagesan
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by anand.alagesan »

Put some palette gum. Change the ink as another option and try. Normally the fibrillation happens due to insufficient base holding capacity of fabric by the pallet gum.
InkyFingers
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by InkyFingers »

Use the push and pull method and be sure to cool between flashes, I use a box fan on a homemade stand having the fan blowing directly on the garment to ensure the cooling process this usually works well regardless of what mesh count, I'm not big on off contact in fact I have been printing for 28 years and never used it. Let me know how you make out.
hobstrabbie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by hobstrabbie »

Wow! Discovered so much from this post. I also want to say hello o everyone :P I just registered and I learned a lot already. Thank you! :D
jaimejeff521
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by jaimejeff521 »

If you are facing the ink problems with you existing printing, you probably have to try out the new industrial t-shirt printer with the NeoPigment Ink compatible on any Fabric surface. i am going to post some new information about the other good inks that doesn't actually create any problems