Mixing Inks

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

zscreenprinterz
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Mixing Inks

Post by zscreenprinterz »

I need all the help I can get on mixing inks. First of all I have a pantone color chart that shows what to mix to get a certain color. The measurements are in pints how can I convert this to something I can use? Also, what is the best way to mix them just by hand? Any other tips on mixing inks would be a big help also.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mixing Inks

Post by ROADSIDE »

You should go back to your school and yell at the math department for not teaching unit conversion :wink:
Just Kidding!
Apple has a unit converter built into the dashboard so its easy to go from pints to whatever you choose. (Apple everyday keeps the problems away)

In my small legacy of screen printing I find its a lot easier just to buy the ink colors you need and mix as little as possible.
You dont want to mix large quanities of ink for small job runs.
Also if you are doing commercial screen print I hope you are charging EXTRA for pantone color matching.
Every minute you are SPENDING mixing is a minute you could be EARNING
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
myfabricart
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by myfabricart »

HI...re: mixing inks.... The first thing you need to do is get yourself a simple color wheel...They sell them at Michaels craft store....or maybe even Joannes craft and fabric stores.....and of course most art supply stores...It shows what colors mixed make what new color...Hint..most people think that by adding black to a color it will give them the darker color they may be looking for...not true....black make colors muddy....add the color that is oposite on the color wheel....example: add red to green to get a darker green... Also in mixing a lighter color always start with the lightest color....example: white, add ing red gives you pink... make sure you use measuring utensils and document...cup and spoon measurements....YOu think you will remember what you measured ...but trust me you will not remember...write down all formulas and keep in a 5 x7 index file..... Primary colors are red, yellow , blue... in case you do not know...red and yellow make orange, blue and yellow make green, red and blue make purple....mix all 3 primary colors , you will get brown...so if you want a nice tan color...start with white and slowly add each primary color, mixing throughly for each color added...That should get you started...but take the time to document.... Make yourself a simple square ( or any small shape ) in a small screen and print each custom color you make. keep it in th e file that you have the written info in..It may sound like alot of work but youwon't regret doing it...then you will eventually have lots of mix formulas ready to re-mix...and you can charge more for custom colors....YOu will not find the pantone color system as out of the container ink colors... Have fun and good luck...
Jan Navales.....printer for 25 years....
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Excelent basic color advice. Now you just need tons of shelf and cabinet space for all the jars and cans you will start collecting!
stray51
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by stray51 »

If your not using a mixing system such as Rutlands M2, or a similar one from Wilflex, I'd recommend you do so. With either one you get a wide variety of mixing colors, and a very large formula range, for most of your pantone coated and uncoated colors. Start up may be a bit expensive, but in the long run it will be much easier to recreate your formulas, and there's not much guess work involved with it. They should come with a disc, with the formulas on them, along with other software that's very helpful. We printed off the formulas and bound them into a book, so they are easy to find when you need to. You can make only the amount needed with a little multiplication or division. you just need a good scale to go with it. Hope this was useful!
itesdi
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by itesdi »

Hi, please take a minute to check my blog

http://www.itesdi.blogspot.com/

In that blog,you can see a Disco Cromatico,some like a color chart,with some explanations about mix colors,primary colors,secondary colors,and if you find usefull,please send me a e-mail and I send you free the Digital printable image in 2 versions,one for tabloid size 11"x17" or for a wall banner (1 meter x0.65 cm)

http://picasaweb.google.com/itesdi/Unti ... 8699048018