Overheating Platen

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

piehjc74
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Overheating Platen

Post by piehjc74 »

When doing 3 to 4 color runs or oversized image one or 2 color runs, the platen tends to over heat, leaving the spray adhesive inactive and pulling up the shirt each color. This is a problem because the registration is never accurate and I often ruin shirts.

I have tried different types of spray adhesives but maybe just havent found a good one yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
d fleming

Re: Overheating Platen

Post by d fleming »

I have a large industrial fan that blows directly on the garment and platen right after it cycles through the flash. I can go longer than without it but still have to take a break occasionally just to let things cool down on really long runs.
swmankin
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by swmankin »

You may be spending too much time under the flash. Try adding a little flashpowder to the first color.
zynthesis
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by zynthesis »

This is my first post!!

Use standard mist spray adhesive, till your pallets get a bit hot and before the adhesive spray starts getting gummy or slimy. Switch to Flash Cure adhesive. It's a dry adhesive, and it's usually activated by heat/pressure it seems. It might not feel very sticky after you take a shirt off of it, but when you put a new shirt on and print/flash, you will notice the shirt adhered firmly. I'll find sometimes we gotta spray every shirt, but most of the time we can run 4-6 shirts with the cure adhesive before we feel we should add some more just to be safe. We run automatics and this is just standard the shop. Hope this is a bit of help if not, then good luck finding a solution to your situation.
printzombie
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by printzombie »

We have the same problem at our shop... on hot days it becomes a real issue. we compensate by only positioning the spot curer over the palate when there is a garment on it, and keep the press moving! also, as mentioned above, fans can help take some of the heat off. finally, if the palates start getting hot to the touch, let them cool for 10-15 minutes before continuing. i know none of those things will *fix* the problem, you you probably do it all already anyway, but at least take some comfort knowing that somewhere out there we're going through the same trouble... misery loves company and all that... ;)
workshy
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by workshy »

Raise the flash cure is what i do. We also use a non spray water based pallet adhesive that holds it's tack longer than any spray. Also avoids spray all over the shop too