Snap help

Discuss the various aspects of textile screen printing.
Share your tips & tricks. Ask Questions

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dyfrig
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Snap help

Post by Dyfrig »

I'm new to screen printing so need abit of help.

I'm going to be printing onto fabric, probably cotton or linnen.
I was thinking of using Permaset aqua waterbased inks, anyone now if theses are any good???
Initially I will be using two hinge clamps attached to a normal table. Any idea of how much snap I will need and how to achieve the correct distance. I was thinking of putting small pieces of cardboard under each corner of the screen??

Any help much appreciated.

Dyfrig
d fleming

Re: Snap help

Post by d fleming »

Years ago I used flock adhesive for air dry prints. Can't remember if it was perma set, perma flock, or what. It's been awhile! On a simple table with hinge clamps try to match the front offset to the back offset created by the hinge giving you a screen that is level to table. Cardboard taped to the screen could probably work just fine. Test your ink on a piece of fabric. smear some on, let dry or cure, beat it, wash it try to screw it up. If it works out, print away. You may want to get some spray adhesive to hold fabric in place.
BURNTJava
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by BURNTJava »

You're kind of like me not using fancy machines. I screwed on these L shaped corner things to the corners of my screens for about 1/10th of an inch of off contact. It works pretty well, but not with Permaset. Permaset is sort of gluelike so it'll just hold your screen down anyways. I've been having problems with Permaset uncuring itself in wash and also fading in wash.(this is white on dark I'm talking about) Since you're using water-based inks I have to say go with Speedball if you're printing on light fabrics and for darks I can't really help you because I'm having trouble with darks myself :P I hope I gave you something useful in this long life story you basically just read.
Dyfrig
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Dyfrig »

HI,

I think the ink I'm using is suppose to be quite good for printing light colours on dark fabric, have a look at this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxgvrxysyA

See if its of any help to you.

Thanks for the reply

Dyfrig