Cleaning up images in photoshop

Specific computer related questions/suggestions for Mac and Pc users.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Odemus
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Cleaning up images in photoshop

Post by Odemus »

I'm new to the art work side of things and one of the biggest problems I'm having right now is just cleaning up the edges of a solid black (on white background) jpeg logo supplied to me by a customer.

Initially I started out on a 11" X 11" layer and tried using the line tool to keep the edges straight but it turned out the level of detail was too small for angles (I get a pixelated step effect no matter how evenly spaced I am). So what I did next was blow up the image by slapping it on a 30" X 30" layer and increasing the DPI from 72 to 200 with the thought that I could clean up the edges in an image with much higher resolution and then when I shrink it back down to size it should appear to be near perfect but this also present all kinds of problems from random program errors to the tedious nature of going practically pixel by pixel around angles and curves to remove all the unwanted gray and fill in solid black where necessary.

There has to be an easier way to use Photoshop to edit solid images so I can make them burn ready. Can Anyone help?
Business Forms

Re: Cleaning up images in photoshop

Post by Business Forms »

Scan your image to your computer in the highest resolution you can. This gives you a lot of room to clean the image up and then resize it later without losing quality. For most scanned art, you'll want to make sure that the scanner is inputting with grayscale, so that you don't get the faint red or blue tint to lines.
Once you have it scanned in, open your image in Photoshop. Make sure the image is in RGB mode (Click "Image", choose "Mode", and tick "RGB") and get ready to clean it up.