Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Laser vs Inkjet????

Post by loudandproud »

Hey guys just wondering what your opinion is on laser printers vs. inkjet. I hear everyone talking up epson printers. I'm lookint into the R1800 myself. The thing is I want to print halftones and possibly four color process and if I do purchase an inkjet, then I'm sure i have to buy RIP software. Do I have to with all inkjet and/ or laser printers? I've searched for hours online about this to no avail. If laser printers print in halftones, can I get away with that and just print through photoshop? Whats the cheapest, good quality path I should go. I just dont really have the cash to drop on a thousand dollar program. Thanks alot guys and just so you know this is my first post. Look foward to hearing from you.

Andy B
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

there is a thread dedicated to this topic somewhere.... I will have to SEARCH for it

but in short

Laser = normally are already POSTSCRIPT so no RIP is needed. Film quality will not be as dark as inkjet. Usually cost more

Inkjet = NEED A RIP for halftones, DARK FILM, Cheaper in price (unless you add in the RIP software)

Do some searching on the forum to find answers before posting a new thread.
Good Luck
T
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by loudandproud »

Hey, thanks a lot for the info. I actually was looking on here for about 3 hours but was'nt having any luck. So thanks. Do you have any recomendations for both options? How well does that toner darkening spray work?
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I have an Xante laser its 5 years old and works 65% of the time
I also have and Epson 7600 pro, its also a few years old but does the job.

I think BOTH is the answer but I have a spend now and worry later theory on most things

I dont use any toner spray.... ever
loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by loudandproud »

I hear ya on that one. I'm the same way. I think I might start out with an ink jet. The one i have now works great but i need larger films. 8.5 x 11 just aint cutting it. Well thanks again for the input. Just one more thing if you dont mind. Whats the cheapest but still reliable RIP software that you know of? Probably gonna pick up the Epson R1800 very soon. I see most the online stores pushing FastFilms and FastRIP but thats pretty much it. Just looking for somthing cheap to hold me over till i can lay down a grand. OK thats enough. I wont bug you anymore. Later.

Andy
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

well.... I am on a MAC so my options are a bit more limited.
Some people like the FAST brand stuff. I am not a fan.
Wastach has some cool products.
http://www.wasatch.com/fabric.html

I dont currently use a RIP Soft. I use my lanser in conjunction with the inkjet to achieve my film goals.
Xante lasers print on 13x18.5" myriad film.
Their new printer is supposed to be nice.... but its like $4Gs
loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by loudandproud »

I'll deffinatly have to look into those products. I actually have a mac book pro and a sony laptop so I can do either or. I mostly use the mac for music production but I'm starting to use my mac for designing tees also. Well thanks a ton for the info. I really appreciate it. I'll have to spread the word about this site.

Andy
loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by loudandproud »

So what do you think about this:

Xante Accel-A-Writer 8300 Laser Tabloid Printer with Adobe PostScript3

Saw it on ebay for like $565. It's used and i think an older model.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I dont ever buy used

I know that sounds snobbish but I look at it as PAY ME NOW PAY ME LATER
if you buy used peripherals (printers or other computer gadgets) 9 times out of 10 you are buying PROBLEMS.

That price sounds WAY to cheap even for an old printer.

You should look up your local ELECTRONIC PRE PRESS person.
We have a guy locally that is awesome.

Brookes Electronic Pre Press, Voorhees NJ
loudandproud
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by loudandproud »

I will have to take that into consideration. Thanks.
Gianni
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Laser vs Inkjet????

Post by Gianni »

In a nutshell, laser black is made of carbon-black particles dispersed in a resin. It is perfect for text on paper, but laser on vellum has 2 problems: HEAT applied to make the resin stick to the substrate deforms the paper and creates registration problems. PARTICLES are dispersed, so that the UV light penetrates in-between - as a remedy, the suggestion is to spray the printout with a chemical (acetone-based) which will temporarely melt the resin. The resin will partially evaporate, thus closing somewhat the gaps among carbon-black particles - another additional problem against good registration of a multi-coloured image. Cheap and good to make stamps (1-2 inches by 3-4 inches); a method that was "new" some 40 years ago.

Inkjet is room-temperature, no distortions. No softwarehouse produces RIP for small, cheap printers. The existing RIP are the 1.500- 2.500 dollar RIP form SAI-Scanvec Amiable International (PhotoPRINT SE or DX - see www.scanvecamiable.com) which can be used in connection with wide-format printers such as the Epson 4880, 7880, 9880, to deliver traditional halftones up to 100 lpi.
There is a decent way out: find an old Epson 3000 in decent conditions (300-600 USD), install a new printing head for the black (100 USD) and find a 250 USD RIP at info@amandainks.com, to print in traditional halftones, choice of dot shapes and up to 55-60 lpi. No problems with UV density and with registration.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Laser vs Inkjet????

Post by ROADSIDE »

nice post but I must say... I get 100% on the money registration with my laser (xante) on Myriad Film.

I dont like the Xante because its 50/50 chance of it not working but when it DOES work it works well.