Really confused, need some sound advice!

To help you get started...
Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rachelle
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Really confused, need some sound advice!

Post by Rachelle »

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is using a Riso system similar to these... http://www.nehoc.com.au/printgocco/systems/ for screen printing and he is trying to print white on black.

Water based paints are not showing up thick enough. He has done a few coats but it is not really giving any great improvements. He is not a professional by any means. This is meant to be a hobby for him and it is something he has wanted to do for years.

What type of paint should he be using to overcome this problem? Is there a way to do it without having to go out and buy a lot of expensive equipment?

Also if you believe this system is not very good, what would you suggest as being better, without us having to go out and spend thousands?

He is interested in printing tshirts - particularly white on black.

We have been searching the net high and low trying to find information, but it all seems so confusing and everyone seems to use a different system - it is hard to know what would suit his needs without going overboard, but at the same time without producing crappy results.

Thanks a lot in advance! I really appreciate any input we could get on this!!
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

From the site you posted I would guess you are way off. Try here for a start
https://www.melray.com/website/equipment
This is just one supplier, there are many that you can get new as well as used equipment from.
Do a little research on presses, exposure units, flash cure and maybe a small conveyor dryer using plastisol inks. Software, maybe corel to start and a printer capable of producing shootable film. Even for a hobby start it takes a few grand if you want a good white print on black. A few jobs for clubs or small businesses will help you get a return on your investment fairly quick if you apply yourself.
Rachelle
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Rachelle »

Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it.

We have been using illustrator for the designs (lucky for him i am a graphic designer so can help him a bit). We also got a Laser Printer just the other day (is that what you mean by a shootable film printer?).

I just want to clarify, when you said he is way off, do you mean with the system he has been using, that it's not going to achieve the results he wants?

Thanks again for the reply, it is very much appreciated!!
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

I didn't really find anything on the site you posted that looked like a textile screen press to me. Maybe it's a little deeper in the page than I dug. Did you look at the link I posted? On the right of the page under equipment is a pic of a basic manual textile press.

Just took another look at the site, think I see what you have. Don't think you'll be printing on dark shirts very well with it. With that setup you may want to stick with dark ink on light shirts for best result.
trinic
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by trinic »

Here is a link to a starter kit that he can use to get the print he wants. It's a kit and it's not
that bad expensive...

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/si ... oduct/1009