Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

mozus
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Random question

Post by mozus »

I'm not sure if this topic belongs in this section of the forum but I'm in a hurry this morning and don't have time to find the right section. My question is about how much a printer should be paid. Here's my situation, I only have two years of experience but regardless of that short time I print anywhere between 3000-4000 shirts per day, my setup time for most jobs is under 30 minutes unless it's a 9 or more color then my setup time runs between 30-45 minutes, all of this is using and old and dying Elexon Infinity, and i usually have nobody assisting me on the setup so i have to fetch my own inks, squeegees and floodbars, test shirts and anything else i might need for it. Not to mention the numerous repairs that might be needed at any given time. So i feel those are good times for a single person. I can catch dryer and box the order at the same time, and i can also handle the screen room from reclaiming to coating and burning if i need to. So my question is roughly how much should i be paid? i only get paid 9.50 per hour and i'm the lowest paid printer in the shop. I just have the feeling that i'm being seriously underpaid and would like some info. Any help/info is greatly appreciated and i apologize if this is posted in the wrong section.
trinic
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by trinic »

here's my opinion. Regardless of how much you do and what you do, you were hired under the agreement that you would make what you make. It sounds a little biased because I own my own shop but the owner has alot of overhead (alot it seems) and may not be able to afford what you would like to pay. My suggestion to you is to purchase some manual presses and chemicals and open a small shop of your own. This way you'll understand there's a bit more involved .

On the otherhand, speak to your employer and ask him. He probably has alot more on his mind other than worrying about the employees pay. It can't hurt to ask. Also, maybe try to find employment elsewhere. My employee's only make 8 an hour, and they do the exact same things plus the manual printing.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Yeah... thats a tough one.
How old are you?
Do you have a family to support?

I know you may say that really doesnt matter ... but it does.

Here is how we pay hourly...
$7.05 entry level usually a folder or intern
$9.00 screen cleaner
$10.00 Press operator base pay. Bonuses for speed and Quality (less mistakes the more you make)
$15-$20 Shop manager (must know how to do everything in the shop)

Sales reps get commission based on total volume sold and bonuses

My guess... your boss is cheap.
I am too cause I have no employees until the spring.. Overhead costs are a mutha!
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
trinic
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by trinic »

omg, you pay your screen cleaner 9.00? Holy S**T, don't let that slip to my guys.
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

Take into account the cost of living might be
a tad bit higher in NJ than it is in Kissimmee.
Though Osceola and Orange counties are
getting more and more expensive!! :wink:

And I'll bet his screen jockey does a bit more around
the farm than just clean screens!