Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thelosersinc
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Yo Just Starting OUt

Post by Thelosersinc »

Basically, Im 17 Years old, My friend Kalan is 17 years old, My Friend Gary is somewhere between 20-30. were In a band together. Gary makes 22 dollars an hour welding so he wants to make an investment, Kalan and I are both Jobless, and Find ourself needing Band Merch And I found myself Broke and interested in getting a deal with a lot of clothing. I started Looking into Prices. Realized how much money bands make off merch, realized how much money legit screen printers make off of selling Mass Merch to bands. Figured what the f**k, I Need a Job, Why not print ourselves some merch and then when we get good, we could start printing merch for local stores and or schools. So, We are going to get GOOD Equipment and do the shit legit, UV Safe Room, Do everything Right.
So, I was kind of looking for a review on what I was going to get, and see if It was good and if i needed some other things. Im trying to spend as little money as possible.

Also was looking on some advice as far as Inks or whatever there called, and how to tell whats good and whats not, I see like 30 types of white, each is priced different, dont know what im looking at.

Also, Where I can get a LOT Of white T Shirts and also if you guys suggest Dying shirts ourselves or just ordering mass white, black, whatever color. Uhmm.

Also I was told if you print on black or dark shirts, you dont have to, but putting down WHITE Everywhere you are going to
put any color, so that it shows up more? Whats that all about. Like what are the steps of doing that, Do you put the white down and then put it under the flash dryer so it like semi cures, and then put the ther colors ontop of it, and then when you run it through a dryer?

also, who uses presses, like whats the benefits of them? are they needed?

anyway, heres what were planning on spending and getting...

6 Color - 2 station table top - 700-800
16x16 Flash Dryer, 120V, 1575W, 13.2 amps - 300
Exposure Unit 25x36" - 500
1,800 Watt 5 Foot Dryer - 1600

is that too steep, im trying to get the cheapest I can find, if you guys know of better things at cheaper prices and whats not really needed, lemme know? I also havent calculated in all the other supplies like squeggees, chemicals, and other shit. basically we have a practice room, and there 3 rooms in the back, we are going to use 1 room to do the screens and storage shit in, the other room to print, and the other room is a bathroom, were just gonna use that to wash the emulsion out of the screen. the other 2 rooms in the practice room is set up like a studio. so it basically all revolves around our band...

Yeah. Thats my life. anyway

Thanks

Richie
IATW
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

My exposing unit was $8,000 ....
Not sure if you estimates are good or not but you have to figure in more expenses...

Washout Booth for cleaning screens?
Pressure washer?
Inks ($65 per gallon)?
Chemicals ($30-$60 gallon)?
Screens ($25-$75 each)?
Tape?
Film?
Separations Printer?
Computer with design software?

If you are going to do it.... you should know that most of the chemicals cause cancer and being that you are young someone should tell you the truth.
This industry is only as good as the people running the companies in it. If you are not 120% sure you can do the work.... dont bother. This business with require more attention then your band (i know cause my band is no longer because of my business)

Good Luck
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
trinic
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by trinic »

I agree with road, if your planning on making a successful business you need to put the band to the side while you start your business, simply because once you start, you need to devote your time (and money) to the business. You can start the business off what you have listed (you will absolutely need a pressure washer, and chemicals) but remember you will need money to order supplies, shirts, etc...
Fresh Mode
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Fresh Mode »

For a basic shop setup, you will need at least $15,000. Also agree w/ Roadside - you will be working LOOOONG hours so make sure it's something you want to do.
justinp
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Re: Yo Just Starting OUt

Post by justinp »

Roadside is right...you'll have to put in a lot of work for the business to be profitable.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yo Just Starting OUt

Post by ROADSIDE »

Well thanks for all the support fellas.
Glad to see I made some sense for a change :wink:
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.