Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

lynch_me
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Tips for cleaning my screen properly?

Post by lynch_me »

When I got into screen printing I bought my friend's old mesh screen and quickly figured everything out. However, after a few months my images weren't turning out very crisp in areas. I held the screen I was using up towards the light and realized the whole thing had obviously not been clean very well. What was left over on the screen seemed to be unwashed away emulsion, which would have properly been easy to get off had I taken the effort. I abandoned the screen and bought a new one recently, feeling like I actually knew what I was doing now, but only after a few uses this "residue" or unwashed away emulsion seems to be coming back in areas which is breaking my balls.

Basically this is what I do when I clean:
-I brush on speedball emulsion remover on both side of my screen
- I use some bristle brush I had in my house to scrub
- then I seem to be scrubbing for what seems like 15 minutes.
- rinse off and repeat where needed.

So yeah, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or lacking in doing would be cool.
ivescreenedforless
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ivescreenedforless »

cover the screen with remover on both sides and let it sit for about 5 minutes, make sure it stays moist, if the emulsion dries after applying the remover, it will not come out...ever Then get some good water pressure on it.

Just give the remover some time to do its job, then you wont have to do so much work. I never have to scrub.

Ive that doesnt help there are tons of other removers, speedball is like the hobby shop arts and crafts crap.
If at first you dont succeed, get use to it...
lynch_me
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by lynch_me »

Thanks man, I'll definitely let it sit next time I do it.
jdaniels313
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by jdaniels313 »

A pressure washer will make your day when reclaiming; especially if your doing lots of screens or are in an area that has high temperatures where you can't let the remover sit too long. It gets over 110 degrees here all summer so we have to be much quicker than in other areas. We hand spray remover on, scrub with a brush briefly to make sure it gets on all the coated area, repeat on other side, let it set 1-2 minutes and spray off with either a garden spray nozzle or pressure washer. We get great results every time! We use Chromaline PL emulsion and Murikami Emulsion Remover. You'll never find a more user friendly textile emulsion!. Oh yeah, get rid of the Speedball crap!!
"Good, Cheap, Fast...... pick two!"
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

(option #1)
A) Remove an ink
B) Wet the screen on both sides
C) Spray on Emulsion remover and let sit for at least 30 secs. (keep it moist)
D) Scrub both sides (use an approved scrubber for screens)
E) Pressure wash clean
F) Spray on degreaser
G) Scrub both sides (uses an approved scrubber that has only been used with degreaser)
H) Let sit for 30-60 seconds and rinse clean

(Option #2)
A) Dip tank 5-8 minutes
B) Pressure wash clean
C) Spray on degreaser
D) Scrub both sides (uses an approved scrubber that has only been used with degreaser)
E) Let sit for 30-60 seconds and rinse clean
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.