Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

jumpintherattler
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

conventions for mesh description

Post by jumpintherattler »

Hi All,

I have just finished a class at a local community college in screenprinting and want to purchase some screens of my own so I can pick up where the course left off. My only problem right now is that I'm confused about what screens to buy in regards to the mesh description.

I have been looking on several screenprinting forums and have found that many people are talking about using meshes in the range of 110 to 260 or 305.

I am in Australia. In the shops here they are telling me everyone is using 43T - one of these shops provides a printing service and told me they only use 43T there. The same shop sells screens with mesh in the range of 10T to 165T. No shops here sell a screen with a mesh as high as 200T. This got me to thinking that maybe there is more than one convention for describing the mesh count. Perhaps one is per inch and the other is per cm (?). I have looked for a discussion on the two conventions but haven't been able to find one. The closest I've found is the following:

"60t or about 150 usa style seems to be about right. but others have said 43t, which is around 110 usa, is good for everything."

and;

"43t/110 is often considered a universal mesh. I think more experienced printers (of which I am not one) often disagree with that notion though."

So, I guess there are two different naming conventions going. I'm just hoping someone can explain to me what each convention is based on and whether there's a way to work out equivalents. Most of the advice at all of the furums I've been to is provided in the convention without the "T" whilst the only ones available to me have the "T". It'd be good to read advice about which meshs people are using for which types of ink, design, fabric etc and be able to understand what the equivalent screen would be that I can use.

All advice greatly appreciated!
ivescreenedforless
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by ivescreenedforless »

the 110, 137, 156 mesh count and so on are based on the threads per square inch. I have also seen mesh lable 12xx, I dont know how the "X" system works and have never heard of the "T" system. I believe the systems are based upon the thickness of the threads themselves, monofilament and multifilament....I don't know that much about mesh myself so don't quote me on these things.

I found this on another forum but I dont know how accurate it is.
34t = 86
55t = 140
90t = 230
120t = 305
150t = 380

110 is normally used for less detailed work and thick inks like white and maroon. The higher numbers are for your thinner inks and more detailed prints with small lines and halftones.

Maybe ask the teacher of your screen printing class if they could help you out.
andymac
Intern
Intern

Post by andymac »

the lower numbers are european threads per cm, higher ones are per inch. thread diameter is indicated on more code stamped on the mesh, but that is not critical for basic stuff.

You didn't say whether you are printing textiles or paper/graphics

In textiles (like the other person mentioned,) the lower meshes give you heavy coverage, but not good detail.

If you are printing posters or dark on white shirts, you can run from 200 up to 305 (using the inch measure) the higher the mesh the better the detail, but less ink.

I print a lot of art on paper and have screens that range from 200 (for floods and metallics) through 225-250 (good solid coverage on most art papers and then 280-305 for detail, but these don't work so well with waterbased inks on rough art paper - won't print in the small depressions.

On smooth paper or vinyl sticker amterial 280-380 is good as the surface doesn't suck up the ink.

there is no such thing as a 'good all round screen', each mesh count does certain things well.

Most printers will have a selection and write the count on the side and choose based on the art (bold or fine details) and the material.
For production tips & assorted ramblings read SHOP TALK monthly in Screenprinting magazine. Visit www.squeegeeville.com for screenprinting information and classes. Visit TMI Screenprinting Equipment Booth 1580 at SGIA 07.