Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

frothingsanta
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Emulsion stained on screen

Post by frothingsanta »

I have a slight problem... the screens im using had emution on them for over 2 years and now when i am stripping them, i cant get the regestration marks out of them. im using 2 year old emultion remover if that helps any. i have d hazed and still dosent work.

Thanks,
Evan

P.S. sry for the spelling, have not slept in 34 hours...
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

when you say you cant get the Reg. marks out.... Do you mean there is a ghost image but the screen holes themselves are open?

If the emulsion is gone... and you just see a hint of where the marks used to be... I would just recoat them with emulsion, burn one and see what happens
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
frothingsanta
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by frothingsanta »

no the regestration marks are blocked. (when i cleaned the screen the emulsion was comming off in sheets). should i use screen opener?
shirtsbyeric
Intern
Intern

Post by shirtsbyeric »

the problem is actually your films. I would assume you are using velum and getting poor edge definition. This leads to chemicals getting into un-crosslinked emulsion molecues and just those parts are frezingup. You need to use a dehazer like easi-solve gold. Scrub it in leave it for 30 minutes and spray off from the bottom up. Also try to increase your exposure time as much as you can to get better edge definition.
X_Autotype_#1
Intern
Intern

Post by X_Autotype_#1 »

It's possible that someone used a water resistant blockout on the registration marks prior to the last print run. That would make the emulsion remover less effective in that area. Try using the screen opener (or some other high flash solvent like acetone) on the area (not the whole screen) for a couple of minutes. Then re-apply the emulsion remover and let it stand wet for about 10 minutes, re-applying if necessary to keep it from drying on the screen. Make sure the solvent you use doesn't leave a residue before you apply the emulsion remover (the residue is water resistant and will prevent the emulsion remover from reaching the emulsion).

If this has little effect, try soaking the screen in bleach for about 10 minutes and re-apply the emulsion remover. Don't worry about the emulsion remover being 2+ years old, unless it has been stored without a cap or has been contaminated with water or some other chemical, it should work ok if stored sealed.

Good luck!
frothingsanta
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by frothingsanta »

wow thanks guys for the help! i used the approach autotype told me to do with the screen opener and it worked fine=]
X_Autotype_#1
Intern
Intern

Post by X_Autotype_#1 »

That's X-autotype. I left the company in 1992. Glad it worked!