Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

MurrayHeather
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

total newbie needs alot of help

Post by MurrayHeather »

hi people

I am new to the forum and new to screen printing.

I am thinking of starting screen printing for a hobby, printing t-shirts for me and some friends
and just experimenting with stuff. I would be doing one off prints and not using it all the time if that helps.

I do not want a massive machine to help me with it. just something small to be kept in a box room.
Another thing is i do not have a lot of money, but i can pay for emulsion and everything.

also another this is I am not totally sure on everything i need and what it does.

please help me out.

many thanks

Murray
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would say get a part time job at a screen printing shop and learn from the inside.
If you are a good worker your boss will prolly let you use the equipment on down time. (I let my employees)
As long as you clean up the mess when you are done.

Screen Printing is not something that should be done in your room..... Basement or Garage maybe.
Be aware that most of the Inks And Chemicals contain cancer causing carcinogens.

I would try to say with the green chemicals if you can
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
Freefall
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by Freefall »

Start with one color work until you're familiar with the process. All you'll need to print your first job is a screen, a squeegee, a can of ink, emulsion, a source for positives, a piece of glass, screen wash, and reclaimer. At first you can expose your screen in the sun and have a friend hold it in place while you print, eliminating the need to purchase any equipment. Use an air dry ink at first so you don't have to cure it.

You'll be amazed at how well you can print using this rather primitive technique. If you find you enjoy it you can begin to purchase and/ or build the necessary equipment for printing multi color work.