Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

veedub3
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Burning screen Problems

Post by veedub3 »

I ordered a beginner screenprinting set that came with all tools necessary to print one color t-shirts. I watched the video that came with it but I was stumped when it cam to applying emulsion over the screen. First....and I no this is stupid but I am clueless as to what side of the emulsion tool am I to use? The rounded edge side or the straight edge side? Next the video states to coat the screen then place it in a dark closet with a fan and let dry for 45 minutes. I had to make a run after doing this and I actually did not get back to the shop until the following day. Is there a time limit on how long emulsion can stay on a screen before washing out or does it not matter? Also the vellum that came with the kit is actually Casey's better than vellum and I exposed it with a 500 watt halogen light for 5 minutes at a distance of 12" from the top of the glass. WHen I went to rinse the screen the emulsion did not was out. I then used a pressure washer and it still dd not come out. I placed recalimer on the screen and it came out with no problem but I want to know what I did wrong? Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Veedub3
veedub3
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by veedub3 »

More info to aid in your diagnosis..... I have a room free of UV light with the yellow bug lights in the room even though the trianing video with the screenprinting equipment I purchased said a regular household bulb can be used as long as no UV light was in the room. The emulsion is I believe QX3 whatever that means, It is the bright pink color. Hopes this help narrow down the problem.

Veedub3
ftembroidery
Intern
Intern

Post by ftembroidery »

Welcome to a whole new world. As far as your applying the emulsion....the scoop coater (that is what the tool is called, as it is a combination reservoir and metal "squeegie") usually has what is called a rounded edge and a sharp edge (not sharp like a knife, but not as dull and rounded as the rounded side). Most printers use the "sharp" side, but in reality, either can be used. The rounded side gives a heavier coating of emulsion, and quite frankly, it would seem that many screens do not have enough emulsion on them for a proper stencil.

As far as exposing it for 5 minutes and the emulsion not washing out (even with a pressure washer) indicates the screen was overexposed. Please note: if you carried it outdoors into the daylight to rinse it out, you exposed it even more than the 5 minutes of halogen light. The sun is, afterall, the best source of UV light available (and conversely, halogen is one of the poorest sources of UV light). Reduce your exposure time. Do a search on this board and others for information on doing a "step-wedge" test."
Where the Vinyards Meet the Redwoods
veedub3
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by veedub3 »

Thanks for the relpy but I also have a controlled wash room so even when I washed it out it was in a room with no UV light using a yellow bulb. I will search the site for instructions on doing a "step wedge" test and try again.

Thanks
veedub3
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by veedub3 »

Could the problem possibly be the vellum image not dark enough? I think I read somewhere that there is a spray that you can spray on the image to make it darker. Is this with every brand of vellum you have to do this to ? I tried the entire process over again twice at different settings and still the image did not wash out?

One more question.......if the 500w halogen light is not a good source what kind of light would be best??