Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

CeeBee
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Customer requesting their "screens"

Post by CeeBee »

Yes, I am new to this forum, but have been in the screen printing business a long time. I wanted to hear from others about what they do when a rude customer is trying to get their "screens". As we all know, we don't give back the actual screens because they can be stripped and reused many times. I have a customer who is requesting this because they did not pay their bill and I finally had to have a lawyer step in to get the money. Now they think they can get these screens because they paid the set-up fees. I could give them the film positives, but I have always been under the impression that when everyone in this industry charges a set-up fee, that is for the service of putting the art on a screen, not for the film positives or the screens. I do not know of any other screen printer who would give up their film positives, either. We do not charge sales tax on the set-up fees, because in my state, services are not taxable. Anyone out there have a similar situation that can offer a comment?
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I would tell them to BEAT IT!

They obviously dont know how the system works.
I would would also tell them if they want the film positives it will cost them $55 per film (NON REFUNDABLE)

If they want them bad enough let them sue you! it would cost more to them in the long run then its even worth.

If you dont want the be bothered anymore.... give them the films and the finger and say " Have a NICE LIFE "

I had a customer demand their screens... to the point where fists were almost thrown.
Clearly they were less intelligent then me (thats not saying much) but make a long story short.... I didnt give them anything!
Never heard from them again and his company went out of business about a year later....

GOOD LUCK and make sure all your policies are in writing so you dont get caught off guard
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Give them the oldest, most ratty-assed screens in the shop and their films and tell them good luck.
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

I have ran into this problem in the past. Screen set-ups are a service, not a purchased item. But be careful how you state the "fees" on work orders or invoices. If you simply state : screens, they can win a case and get the actual screens from you...(alot of trouble just for some aluminum & mesh).
We had to change or invoices and work orders to state it was a "fee" for a service.
As far as films, I have seen it go both ways. Once again state that it is a service fee and that all materials used in the production of the order is property of your company.
Post a sign in view of your customers.

If they throw that big of a fuse...hell just give them the films.

krosbonez
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

I just looked over our Invoices and there is no mention of the word screen anywhere on it.
SETUP FEE is how we have it worded
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
andymac
Intern
Intern

Post by andymac »

ha! you sound like the t-shirt printers here in town who got all snotty when I asked for my films back - they insisted they owned the films.

problem was, I made the films.

I said pull the file, I'll show you - we had a little logo on the bottom edge. since that date they spent the last 10 years trying to screw me over, sending city inspectors by, interfering in contracts, badmouthing me to clients. typical. I ignore them, and go out of my way to recommend nobody use them, and delight in teaching people how to print, and helping them set up t-shirt operations to compete (I only print fine art/graphic/industrial prototypes, no shirts, so I am not in direct competition with them anyway)

I give films back to my customers all the time if they want them - when they lose them, I charge them for making new ones. If they go away to another printer, good riddance.

Bad attitude? You bet. Customers who whine and fight with you and shop prices and threaten....life is too short, and they are usually a pain/no payers anyway.

....all this applies to films. Screens belong to us unless they are specifically sold to the customer. they can come by with a bag and catch the emulsion before it goes down the drain....
For production tips & assorted ramblings read SHOP TALK monthly in Screenprinting magazine. Visit www.squeegeeville.com for screenprinting information and classes. Visit TMI Screenprinting Equipment Booth 1580 at SGIA 07.