Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

gilbertthegreat
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Shirt sticking to screen then moving - help

Post by gilbertthegreat »

OK - I haven't got any ink plopping over the open image, but it is as if there is a vacuum between the ink on the shirt and in the screen, so that when I lift the screen up, the shirt is peeling off it instead of staying on the platten. Can this have something to do with the thickness/viscosity of the ink? It's a supercover ink that has more pigment and is designed for cover ing dark fabric.

Off contact is about 1/8 inch.

Other thing is that I don't have a flash unit, and this problem is occuring before I even got a heatgun near the plattern, so it's not a heat thing in this case.

Also, this problem occured the very first shirt I did - so there wasn't an ink build up problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Shaun
d fleming

Post by d fleming »

Are you using any adhesive to stick the shirt to the platen?
gilbertthegreat
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Yes - the spray on kind.

The suction of the ink on th e screen was pretty strong.

Cheers

Shaun
ftembroidery
Intern
Intern

Post by ftembroidery »

Shaun,

When you print the shirt, try this. Put the ink on the end of the screen that is away from you. "Flood" the screen by PULLING the squeegie toward you with VERY LITTLE pressure so that you've created a thick layer of ink over the entire surface of the stencil (maybe about as thick as you would spread mayonaise on a sandwich). Then while holding the squeegie at about 45-60º PUSH it away from you shearing the ink off onto the shirt. Do this by pushing the entire length of the stencil area. Then LIFT the squeegie off the stencil and PLACE it back down on the screen near you and PUSH it AGAIN the entire length of the stencil (this time WITHOUT "flooding" the stencil). Do this without lifting the screen off the shirt until you can see that all the ink has been sheared off the stencil and onto the shirt. It is not uncommon for this "dry stroke" to be done once or twice after the initial flood & print stroke.
Where the Vinyards Meet the Redwoods
gilbertthegreat
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

That's a good tip - I will try it tomorrow - makes really good sense!

Cheers

Shaun
gilbertthegreat
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Yeah - that worked a lot better - cheers.

I also sprayed more adhesive down, but ended up with the glue staying stuck on the shirt - not a good look.

Any remedies?

Ta

Shaun
Jeremy
Intern
Intern

Post by Jeremy »

The adhesive should wash out of the shirt completely.