Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jodes
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Totally new !!!!!!!!!

Post by Jodes »

O.k...... i am sooooo new at this...... first things first..... i am from Australia and i have been looking at doing some kind of course just on screen printing but can't seem to find one that does not involve all of the other design aspects as well.....
so i thought i would try this forum for some help....
bascically i have an idea and i am in the process of starting my own home business..... what i am wanting to do is print on to satin or cotton..... it will only be words and the words will only ever be one colour..... reading some of the previous posts you need to buy your frame, inks, squeegie, and....... emulsion and sensitizer..... now i can vaguely remember doing screen printin at school and i just don't recall using these.....
so can someone tell me what would be the easiest and most cost effective way to do this.......and how would i do it?
thanking you in advance
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

Here is an alternative to screen print and all the supplies. If all you are doing is lettering in one color (no halftones or fading) you could try heat applied vinyl also known as Thermo-Flex.
You would need a vinyl plotter, heat press, Thermo material and a computer to send to the plotter.
No inks, no emulsion, no screens, NO MESSY CLEAN UP!!!
The material comes in several different types for all kinds of fabric (cotton,poly,nylon...) cut the design in reverse and apply to your material.
I used this in the print shop I worked in. Came in great when needing to do numbers or low quantity orders of one or two color designs. As long as you apply it correctly, it has a long life span (in some cases, much longer than screen print) This is not the same "Old-school" heat applied vinyl that cracks and looks all plastic like. This is a heavy duty, semi-gloss that can hold its own with screen printed shirts and you can set up a whole shop in your living room. I know some people around here that have it set up in their van or truck, then drive to baseball games and sell custom shirts right there.
I know I will probably get flamed by all of the other screen printers here, but just giving you another option that would be more cost effective for what you are wanting to do.

Hope this helps
kros
Krosbone Graphix
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

krosbones wrote: I know I will probably get flamed by all of the other screen printers here, but just giving you another option that would be more cost effective for what you are wanting to do.
:twisted: :twisted: FLAMES FLAMES FLAMES

Just Kidding,

Krosbones is correct... Thremo Film is pretty cool in its own right. We do alot of shirts this way. Like I always say... vinyl cutter was the best investment I have ever made.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.