Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

4 color process on dark tees

Post by BrothersScreen »

I am trying to find a way to get a good color mix on a white undercoat using the CMYK seperations. Is there a different ink that I need or is it a whole different process for making my seperations? The mix looks great on the white samples but on a royal tee with a white underlay it looks very red and yellow. Any suggestions?
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

I have found, in my 13+ years of printing, that when printing process on a white base you need to adjust your magenta film for less coverage.
Of course if you are doing 4 color process, you need to be using the proper process colors (Yellow, Magenta, Cyan and Black). Depending on what program you are using for your separations, you will be able to control the amount of color for each separation. My suggestion would be using Photoshop. With each color in its own channel. Then adjust your tone curve for the magenta.
Usually when I print process on dark shirts, I have more of a problem with the colors looking to transparent. I now add spot color inks to my process colors for a more vivid and brighter print. Lemon Yellow added to Yellow: Bright Red added to Magenta: Mono Blue added to Cyan...And I have not used an actuall Process Black for many years, just a normal plastisol black with a little reducer.

Hope this helps!

kros
Krosbone Graphix
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

Cheers!
Well Put Krobone!
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
BrothersScreen
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by BrothersScreen »

I am using Photoshop for the seps, is the tone curve the same as the angle?
The colors do come out a little transparent or faded looking, and we are flashing each color and doing multple passes with each screen so it is very slow. Spot colors help but are taking away from quality also.

Let me know about the tone curve and I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks, for the response by the way...