Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

photo emulsion and text.

Post by gfxbss »

hey guys, im very new to screen printing and am using speedball's diazo photo emulsion. i am noticing that i am having trouble with text on shirts. the emulsion doesnt wash out the way i would like.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

Describe the problem.

If the edges are fuzzy, odds are you are under cutting.
(Light from the side)

Or your positive has weak or fuzzy edges.

A little more info and we'll get you fixed up.
gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by gfxbss »

the edges are sharp. say if i have an A, the middle part comes off with the rest of it. so you get nearly a triangle. same thing with an e. really, nearly anything with an "inside" to it. ive ended up doing some touch up with acrylic and it doesnt look too bad, and the acrylic wont wash out if it is set properly.

Thanks.
yaleteamsandtees
Administrator
Administrator

Post by yaleteamsandtees »

What mesh count are you using and how are you exposing it?

ie. light source and distance.
Vacuum or foam and weights?
gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by gfxbss »

im using 10XX mesh. just a 150w lamp w/ aluminum foil around the shade. about 18in away. experimenting with times. im just putting a peice of glass over my transparent image so it doesnt curl...
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

mmmm.... under exposure or uneven light source.
.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by gfxbss »

i could see the uneven light even though there are no shadows or anything on it. the exposure time i hope isnt right, as ive been leaving under there for 1-2 hours.
libprints
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by libprints »

I have a couple things to say that may help.. First, I've used that emulsion and its not very good. You need to find one that is a little more light sensitive and exposes in light faster. You may need to spend $5-$10 more than you are now, but it's worth it. You can just speak with someone at whatever screenprinting supply place you go to, and they'll help you. Also, the longer exposure you do, the more light will get under the film and bounce between the film and the screen. This will cause exposing slightly under that dark part of the film that is not to be exposed. I think if you get stronger light to cut down exposure time, and a better emulsion you can prevent this. Try going up to atleast a 250watt bulb, but a 500watt would be ideal. You can get one at a hardware store. This will cut exposure time down to minutes rather than hours.
gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by gfxbss »

libprints: thanks for the advice.

i dont go to any screen printing supply store. i go to united art and education, just because i happen to work in there warehouse. unfortunately, it is the only place in town that offers screen printing supplies. also, the diazo is the only stuff that we sell.

so, going from there, does anyone have any advice on what kind of emulsion i should use? would i be able to order it online?

I will try a bulb w/ higher W.
ROADSIDE
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ROADSIDE »

.... I can give you my opinion but I can't tell you if it's right or not.
libprints
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by libprints »

Try calling Screenworks supply, they are very helpful. Just type in screen printing supplies on the net and a ton of companies will come up. It's really not very hard to find someone near you. And of course you can order supplies online, but if you don't know much about stuff than it is best to talk with a sales rep.
gfxbss
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

Post by gfxbss »

thanks guys, you have been very helpful. i have been using speedball textile ink. i know it is not the best stuff, but again, it is what we have at the warehouse. anyone have any suggestions for better textile ink?

thanks again.