Color Separations for Dark Shirts - Help!

To help you get started...
Ask specific questions
Give detailed information

Moderator: Moderator Team

5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

Color Separations for Dark Shirts - Help!

Post by 5thQuarterSports »

How do you print out a white background when you are printing on dark shirts? I am wanting to print a three color logo on dark shirt. I can color separate (for the most part) with Corel X3, but I can't seem to figure out how to print a white background. I hope I am making myself clear.

Lynnwood
5thQuarterSports
Intern
Intern

Post by 5thQuarterSports »

How do you print out a white background when you are printing on dark shirts? I am wanting to print a three color logo on dark shirt. I can color separate (for the most part) with Corel X3, but I can't seem to figure out how to print a white background. I hope I am making myself clear.
Roger Jennings
Just Browsing
Just Browsing

printing on dark shirts

Post by Roger Jennings »

YOu get the positive for the underbase white by grouping the 3 positives, and choking the design. You can choke by laying a sheet of clear plastic over the emulsion so it is between the emulsion and grouped positives. The amount of choke will depend on the thickness of the clear plastic. Choking prevents white from peeking out from under colors. The white does not have to look bright white when printed. White only takes the color strength out of the garment. So one hit only. Use a white like Union Ink's MACH-1000 and a 230 mesh screen. Flash, and print your colors. If you want to see printing white on navy shirts without flash curing, watch the "Screen Printing Health and Safety" video on www.youtube.com. However, we do things right, e.g. solid equipment, retensionable frames, capillary film. No old fashion ways. Roger Jennings
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

wow...seems like alot of work to get an underbase....
If you are using CorelDRAW x3....here is another way...depending on the detail of you art of course...
X3 added a nice little feature....when you select objects not grouped, a new option to create an new object from the selected items becomes available...
On my screen it appears in the tool bar right above the workspace...
Click on this and it creates an object of all the selected items...I use this as an underbase since it is literally under all of my objects...pull it off to the side, give it a solid black fill, add a 1 pt white outline (for your choke) and print out a separation with only the black selected....
This does not work with gradient fills though...for that I would suggest using Photoshop until you have more experience doing "manual separations" in CorelDRAW....
Good luck...and remember there hundreds of ways to do the same job...just got to find the one that works for you...

Kros
Krosbone Graphix
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

Thats how I do it (underprint)...Sometimes when you add you an outline, you want to change the corners to "round" in your outline dialog...Depending on the shape of your object...But it doesn't really matter since it will be printed over.
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

krosbones wrote: X3 added a nice little feature....when you select objects not grouped, a new option to create an new object from the selected items becomes available...
On my screen it appears in the tool bar right above the workspace...
Click on this and it creates an object of all the selected items...
Grouped or ungrouped, there's a shortcut key for that...If you hit the plus key (+) on the number pad to the right of the keyboard (NOT the one that has the "=" symbol with the "+" above the letters)...It will create a new object of whatever is selected...

...Or you can use "Control-D" to duplicate, but make sure your x and y duplicate distance is set to 0.00"
krosbones
Intern
Intern

Post by krosbones »

Using the keypad + key or cntl-D are ways of making a duplicate of the selected items...the tool I was refering to, creates a "welded" object to say...I use to use the duplicate but if I had text or other objects inside the area, they were all duplicated...by using the new feature, it only creates an "outer" shape....it kind of reminds me of the contour feature but works with multiple objects at a time...

kros
f_bomb
Intern
Intern

Post by f_bomb »

krosbones wrote:Using the keypad + key or cntl-D are ways of making a duplicate of the selected items...the tool I was refering to, creates a "welded" object to say...I use to use the duplicate but if I had text or other objects inside the area, they were all duplicated...by using the new feature, it only creates an "outer" shape....it kind of reminds me of the contour feature but works with multiple objects at a time...

kros
Oh thats cool! I gotta gets me some X3...For now I'll have keep it old school and weld 'em together...